Decorating By leah_s Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 8:33pm by lorieleann

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:41am
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by myheartsdesire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann

I'm doing my first Icing Smiles cake which will be delivered on Sunday to a little girl who is celebrating her first birthday and has never been home from the hospital icon_sad.gif

I just got the details on thursday, so it is very last minute, but to go with their pink princess request I am doing a 6/10 with a gum paste tiara on top, a grey fondant/gum paste castle wrap around on the pink buttercream top tier (it will be stand away a little bit to look like a castle wall) and the bottom pink buttercream quilted with pearls and a bottom border of the big 1m rosettes. It's not going to be as super grand as some of the IS "dream" cakes, but I hope it will still be a special way for her family to celebrate.

I'm debating putting a small cupcake inside the tiara for a smash cake, but I don't know if she is able to do that ( though they did say that she might be going home in a few weeks). Guess i can include it and it will be their choice.

I love icing smiles! It's such a great program. Good for you for being involved in such a wonderful thing! icon_smile.gif

your cake sounds lovely. and im sure she will love it.
what is icing smiles? never heard of it.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:43am
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess155

My first time in the cake club! Yay!

I'm working on a couple dozen cupcakes that look like little pies. We are going to a "pie party" and every family is supposed to bring a side dish and a pie. I think that's a stinking LOT of pie. So, they get cuppies from us. icon_biggrin.gif

By the way Leah, thanks so much for the SPS tutorial! I <3 SPS!

I've always wanted to try these!! thumbs_up.gif

tonight I just finished some cupcakes for a housewarming party. I just used the 5 petal cutter for purple flowers and added some dragees for a simple and stunning look icon_biggrin.gif

today I finished baking a 6" and 10" red velvet cake...that i must say...turned out EXCEPTIONALLY WELL! icon_rolleyes.gif I don't really like red velvet cake tapedshut.gif don't shoot me! but I think my mixture of sour cream and buttermilk added to the mix was a great addition to what i normally do.

PLUS i have a 12" square and 10" round that i got done...my sister's birthday on sunday and her aunt's wedding cake on monday! *phew* sounds like a lot of work.

i'm trying damask stenciling for the first time this weekend icon_redface.gif

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:56am
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

How did your giant cupcake go? I had one of my worst cake disasters ever with one and now I'm afraid to try again!

I've done the giant cupcake several times. I have the Wilton pan and NEVER back both halves at the same time. Typically, I do each part in a different flavor and make cupcakes with the excess batter. I do put a rose nail in the big bottom part and bake at 325 so it is less likely to burn on the outside.

My only hiccup this time was with that bottom cake. I used the WASC recipe with DH white cake mix. (I've only ever used doctored Betty C for the giant cuppie before.) It appeared to bake up to the right size but as it cooled, it shrunk and flattened out so that the final cake was WAY short. The cupcakes for the smash cake did the same thing. icon_confused.gif

I had some BC mix on hand so I just rebaked the bottom and the smash cake so now the top is white and the bottom is chocolate. No biggie.

For the fondant, I level the top of the bottom cake with my Agbay and then flip that part over so I can frost and cover it upside down. I used a ball tool to rub the ridges into the sides so it looks like a real wrapper.

Kristy

aundrea Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:09am
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by myheartsdesire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann

I'm doing my first Icing Smiles cake which will be delivered on Sunday to a little girl who is celebrating her first birthday and has never been home from the hospital icon_sad.gif

I just got the details on thursday, so it is very last minute, but to go with their pink princess request I am doing a 6/10 with a gum paste tiara on top, a grey fondant/gum paste castle wrap around on the pink buttercream top tier (it will be stand away a little bit to look like a castle wall) and the bottom pink buttercream quilted with pearls and a bottom border of the big 1m rosettes. It's not going to be as super grand as some of the IS "dream" cakes, but I hope it will still be a special way for her family to celebrate.

I'm debating putting a small cupcake inside the tiara for a smash cake, but I don't know if she is able to do that ( though they did say that she might be going home in a few weeks). Guess i can include it and it will be their choice.

I love icing smiles! It's such a great program. Good for you for being involved in such a wonderful thing! icon_smile.gif

your cake sounds lovely. and im sure she will love it.
what is icing smiles? never heard of it.

i googled icing smiles and emailed them. im not sure if i can do what they are looking for, but maybe i can help in another way. thanks for sharing. would love to see a pic of your cake when done.

TSMarjorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSMarjorie Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:17am
post #35 of 43

I didn't know there was a meeting on Fridays. I would have posted last weekend. I made a shoe, purse, comb, and hair scissors for the first time. I was surprised at how easy the shoe was to make.

Callmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callmesugar Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:33am
post #36 of 43

I just finished an R2D2 cake I made for my son's 5th birthday. It was fun but didn't turn out as clean and sharp as I had wanted. I got to use my silver dust for the first time and that was trickier than I thought! Glad I tried it out on a personal cake before using on a customer's for the first time. Overall, it was real nice to make a cake that didn't have any pressure behind it- no stress!
Anyone know if they have icing smiles in Canada? I'll have to google it.

aundrea Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:36am
post #37 of 43

wow!!! my new addiction: stencling and airbrushing.
so much fun. and so darn easy, why i havent done it until now icon_surprised.gif
wooo hooo!!

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:37am
post #38 of 43

Pretty easy weekend for me tonight. I only had one wedding that I delivered today. It was a three tier with pannels and accented with chocolate brown roses and "funky lines" (for lack of better description!) as well as a kitchen cake. The bride gave me a picture and have seen this cake before..but for the life of me can't remember whose it was.

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:39am
post #39 of 43

UGH...not pleased with how this is turning out. I was trying to make a black belt out of fondant, but now the strips I cut out have gotten too hard. Shouldn't it soften up with moisture? I took it outside for a few minutes (it's going to be a foggy night here), but it still wants to crack when I try to make the knot in the black belt. Any suggestions?

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:45am
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmesugar

I just finished an R2D2 cake I made for my son's 5th birthday. It was fun but didn't turn out as clean and sharp as I had wanted. I got to use my silver dust for the first time and that was trickier than I thought! Glad I tried it out on a personal cake before using on a customer's for the first time. Overall, it was real nice to make a cake that didn't have any pressure behind it- no stress!
Anyone know if they have icing smiles in Canada? I'll have to google it.

I have looked into it and it doesn't seem to be here...but if someone knows diferently I would love to get involved!

CarolinaCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaCakeMom Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 6:03am
post #41 of 43

First time in the club. Or I should say, first time posting. I somehow have missed this party. I am working on a movie cake that will not cooperate. As usual, I think I can do more than my limited talents will allow. My MFF split all around the top of the cake. The side(s) just fell away leaving a nice round top for my cake. Luckily I had some Satin Ice to save the day. At least I finished the popcorn cupcakes. I don't think there will be sleep tonight. The party is at 10AM. Oh well!

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 6:03am
post #42 of 43

I looked up icing smiles and they list an application for US bakers and Canadian bakers, so I'd assume they are in Canada. icon_smile.gif The website sounds like they are trying to expand as well, so even if they aren't in your area yet, they'd like to be.

I just emailed them as well. I don't know if I can really make cakes for them since I'm not licensed. The website said it depends on state/county regulations for non-profit food donation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 8:33pm
post #43 of 43

thumbs_up.gif on the Icing Smiles. This is my first and it's really fun to know you are showing some love for a family going through a tough time. Plus it is fun to get a general theme and flavor and to be able to practice skills or do something new.

Check out their Facebook page. It seems a bit more active then their regula website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%