Bride Looking For Last Minute Deal -- Need Advice . . . .

Business By nhbaker Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 3:01pm by Chonte

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 6:33am
post #31 of 38

My thoughts on this is why take time and attention away from the first cake you booked (possibly resulting in a rushed job/greater chances of something going wrong) to save this 11th hour bargain hunter's butt?
Client #1 valued the service you provide enough to seek you out in advance without undercutting your price (I am guessing). If Ms. Emergency really valued your talents she would have called you first. If she is really on a budget, she should have shopped around sooner. "Sorry, I'm not available" and you owe her no explanation. Walmart will take a last minute order and she deserves walmart cake for her attitude alone!

Have fun on your vacation!

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 7:33am
post #32 of 38

From what you describe as the photos that she sent, the hotel probably IS giving her a discount. For all you know, her son's cake may have just been plain buttercream with ribbon. And, the designer saw the masterpiece that SHE wants and is charging accordingly.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:25pm
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Wedding magazines have recently been telling brides to wait until closer to the wedding to book things, since the vendors will be more eager to take on jobs to book open spots that they otherwise wouldn't be earning money for. More genius advice written by people who have never sold a wedding service in their lives.

REALLY? Where? icon_surprised.gif Lemme guess, it starts with a K and ends with an not?

Possibly... icon_rolleyes.gif I've seen that kind of advice on a few places in the last year or so. It's always in the articles about cutting costs, and it basically tells people that wedding vendors are eager to negotiate their prices because of the bad economy. We're all so desperate for work we're apparently willing to take on last-minute jobs at a discount, and we also enjoy haggling. One article that I saw made steam come out of my ears...It said that wedding vendors actually respect clients who haggle more than ones who don't because it shows that they're knowledgeable about prices for services.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:05pm
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

One article that I saw made steam come out of my ears...It said that wedding vendors actually respect clients who haggle more than ones who don't because it shows that they're knowledgeable about prices for services.

HA! Oh yeah, I have tons of respect for someone trying to devalue my work and time! icon_rolleyes.gif

And the problem is, they may THINK they are knowledgeable about prices for services, but they are NOT. It's very frustrating to deal with someone who thinks they know what they should be paying for a certain cake design, and you can't overcome that preconceived notion in their mind.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:06pm
post #35 of 38

[quote="costumeczar"]Possibly... icon_rolleyes.gif I've seen that kind of advice on a few places in the last year or so. It's always in the articles about cutting costs, and it basically tells people that wedding vendors are eager to negotiate their prices because of the bad economy. We're all so desperate for work we're apparently willing to take on last-minute jobs at a discount, and we also enjoy haggling. One article that I saw made steam come out of my ears...It said that wedding vendors actually respect clients who haggle more than ones who don't because it shows that they're knowledgeable about prices for services.[/quote]

Yeah, sure. I LOVE that uncomfortable silence when someone looks at me and asks me to cut my price, don't you? icon_rolleyes.gifthumbsdown.gif

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:12pm
post #36 of 38

I would just turn her down and not bother to try to "educate" her about anything. You would just be wasting your time and efforts, frustrating yourself and taking time away from your family's trip. She doesn't care about your services to begin with or she wouldn't have waited til last minute to try to crumbsnatch a cheaper cake.

There is nothing you can do or say to this lady to make her happy because you are worth more than a DOLLAR per serving and she won't be happy to have you for anything other than that. If that is what she is aiming for, don't make yourself the target. Just. Say. No. You are going to hate yourself in the end otherwise!

Go on vacation, be happy and when you come back - bake like there is no tomorrow!!!!! icon_razz.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:44pm
post #37 of 38

Are you kidding me? She wants a victorian type of design on a hotel budget cake.. A package cake for a hotel usually is simple buttercream with ribbon details. If people want more details, they have to pay extra! I say no..if she wants to pay $250 she needs to go to Walmart!

Edna

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:01pm
post #38 of 38

hmm what will $1 per serving buy? how bout you tell her you can make her a box cake with canned frosting icon_smile.gif lol maybe even throw in some sprinkles

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%