Can A Cake Covered In Ganache Be Put In Freezer ?

Decorating By jem2131 Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 1:53pm by TexasSugar

jem2131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jem2131 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:39am
post #1 of 7

Hello all,

So i've seen a few people on here say that they have crumb coated their cakes and have put them in the freezer till they were ready to take out and put a final coat of buttercream and then cover in fondant..
My question is, since i cover my cakes in ganache before putting fondant on; is it possible that i can ganache my cake and then freeze it ? or will my ganache melt as my cake is reaching room temperature? This may be a stupid question icon_sad.gif but i would really love to know if this is possible or if anyone has tried this before ? Thank you all in advance icon_smile.gif

6 replies
cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:42am
post #2 of 7

Yes you can, no it wont melt. It will have condensation but if you put a fan next to it it will dry. or use the condensation for glue when adhering to fondant.

jem2131 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:53am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeladyatLA

Yes you can, no it wont melt. It will have condensation but if you put a fan next to it it will dry. or use the condensation for glue when adhering to fondant.

Thank you for responding! I'm glad to know that this is possible icon_smile.gif
I have a quick question, after I ganache my cake, would I then box up my cake and seran wrap the box and then place in freezer ? Cause I would figure if I just wrapped my ganache cake with seran wrap itself; then when I would pull the plastic wrap off after defrosting it, it would pull off the ganache right ? Sorry so many questions

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:57am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem2131

Hello all,

So i've seen a few people on here say that they have crumb coated their cakes and have put them in the freezer till they were ready to take out and put a final coat of buttercream and then cover in fondant..
My question is, since i cover my cakes in ganache before putting fondant on; is it possible that i can ganache my cake and then freeze it ? or will my ganache melt as my cake is reaching room temperature? This may be a stupid question icon_sad.gif but i would really love to know if this is possible or if anyone has tried this before ? Thank you all in advance icon_smile.gif

Hello Jem - yes you can freeze it - but please make sure you wrap it very very well in glad wrap / saran wrap first - so as the chocolate doesn't get freezer burn or seize.
When you need to defrost it - leave it on your counter top overnight still with the glad wrap on it....THEN GENTLY PEEL IT AWAY

Question: - do you usually ganache your cakes UNDER BC?

I don't
freeze my cakes already Ganached - as i don't like the taste of the chocolate once it has been in the freezer.
I always freeze my cakes Naked ....................... iykwim

Also - i only use Ganache under Fondant -
IMO - Using it under BC will make it awfully sweet - but each to their own.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

jem2131 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:04am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem2131

Hello all,

Hello Jem - yes you can freeze it - but please make sure you wrap it very very well in glad wrap / saran wrap first - so as the chocolate doesn't get freezer burn or seize.
When you need to defrost it - leave it on your counter top overnight still with the glad wrap on it....THEN GENTLY PEEL IT AWAY

Question: - do you usually ganache your cakes UNDER BC?

I don't
freeze my cakes already Ganached - as i don't like the taste of the chocolate once it has been in the freezer.
I always freeze my cakes Naked ....................... iykwim

Also - i only use Ganache under Fondant -
IMO - Using it under BC will make it awfully sweet - but each to their own.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Hello, no hun I don't use it under butter cream. I only use ganache under my fondant. Does the chocolate taste bad once frozen ? I didn't think about that. I guess ill have to do a test run. Thanks for replying back icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:16am
post #6 of 7

Hmmm - to me the freezer changes the taste - to others it may not. *shrug*

I also believe it has alot to do with the type and quality of chocolate used....but again - thats just my opinion.

Its like frozen granulated Coffee - i can tell when thats been in a freezer.
Perhaps its just my taste buds - lolll

Blue.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 7

People tend to put the buttercream cakes in the fridge or freezer to firm up the buttercream before covering in fondant, so the buttercream doesn't smoosh around as much while you are smoothing your fondant.

Ganache hardens up and forms a shell around the cake, which is why it is great to use under fondant because ti is already firm and once it sets it doesn't mush around under the fondant when you are smoothing it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%