Edible Images - Licensed Pictures - Disney Etc

Decorating By knewbee Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 1:43am by 1sweetpea

knewbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knewbee Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:48am
post #1 of 5

Hi - not sure if I am asking this question in the proper area of the website.
I noticed on ebay that people sell images that are from Kids Movies ie Star Wars, Disney movies etc. Where do they get the image from? is it legal to reproduce this images?
thanks
This is an amazing site - great sharing of info!

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:08am
post #2 of 5

Any original character created by someone is protected under copyright. If you want to legally use that character in one of your products (whether you sell it or give it away) you must obtain permission from the copyright owner first, otherwise you risk being sued for copyright infringement.

The vast majority of character cakes posted online are infringing someone's copyright. Based on copyright law the infringer could ultimately be liable to $750-$30,000 in statutory damages (per infringement) if sued, but usually these types of cases are settled out of court.

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:10am
post #3 of 5

No, it's not legal. You are not allowed to reproduce any licensed image for commercial value without permissions from the lic owners. I do believe that a lot of the "character' cakes done on this website and sold are in violation as well.

Here's a link to another thread about it:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7049798&sid=039f71cb654e637d867b1e4610adff01

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:28am
post #4 of 5

Decopac sells licensed merchandise:

http://www.decopac.com/items_1.html

HTH

1sweetpea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1sweetpea Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:43am
post #5 of 5

bakery crafts and lucks also legally sell licensed images icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%