Coloring Gumpaste Deep Red

Decorating By junkee4cupcake Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 6:32am by SarahL4683

junkee4cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junkee4cupcake Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 6:03am
post #1 of 6

I am curious if anyone has suggestions on how to color gumpaste a deep red color. I also want to know what the best way to achieve black would be. Also are there any pre colored gumpastes on the market?

5 replies
Cynfultreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynfultreats Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 7:29am
post #2 of 6

I would also like to know suggestions to this question. I know that the red absorbs on my skin and drys out the fondant, so I dont knead it in . I also have tried in my marshmallow fondant mixing in the color into the melted marshmallow but now I get an orange red color.
Thanks!

asiancakes10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asiancakes10 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 8:42am
post #3 of 6

it's very difficult to achieve but here is a mixing chart that may help you woith many colours ....http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/colormixingchart.htm

hope it helps thumbs_up.gif

Laulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laulie Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 9:13am
post #4 of 6

It's really not even worth trying unless you require a VERY small amount. Definitely buy the pre coloured stuff for black and red.

Cynfultreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynfultreats Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:10am
post #5 of 6

I was thankfully able to get my red icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:32am
post #6 of 6

I used gum paste for my angry birds and had no problem getting a nice deep red. I used americolor super red gel color, kneaded it , let it rest overnight. The color will intensify over night so you can get a really great red. The americolor super red is super concentrated so you don't use nearly as much gel color vs some of the other brands. Same deal for fondant... americolor super red and letting it rest over night works great for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%