Curious About Modeling Chocolae

Baking By sweetdreams1989 Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 11:55am by sugarxosugar143

sweetdreams1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdreams1989 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:45am
post #1 of 12

ive been reading some forum post that talks about modeling chocolate but my question is to you ccs is it easy to work with ? and is it better than fondant ? thanks

11 replies
pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:53am
post #2 of 12

its great for modeling and doesnt really dry so you can always tweak it days later.

CAKELADIE1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKELADIE1 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:54am
post #3 of 12

It depends on what you want to do with it. I like modeling chocolate for making animals and other figures. I think it holds its shape better.

sweetdreams1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdreams1989 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 5:03am
post #4 of 12

does it melt faster that fondant ..
has anyone ever tried covering it on a cake?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 5:17am
post #5 of 12

i like working with both, even mixing the 2! the difficult thing about fondant is moisture control. the difficult thing about modeling chocolate is temperature control. fondant and modeling chocolate are different animals, with different pros and cons.

when you ask about melting, i'm a bit confused. your fondant melts?

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 5:58am
post #6 of 12

You can cover a cake with it, but it's stiffer than fondant, so it's really hard to mold a thin sheet around the corners and edges of a cake without breaking. Probably works better to do it in panels if you are covering an entire cake. You can do cutouts with it easily though, and they take basically no time at all to get firm enough to move around -- but if you mess them up, unlike fondant after it hardens, you can easily gather the scraps and re-roll.

It will soften and can lose its shape if it's hot, so it's not as good as fondant for that, if that's what you meant by "melting."

Holly

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 8:59am
post #7 of 12

icon_biggrin.gif I am not very experienced with modeling chocolate, but I didn't find it too hard to work with. I made a purse cake and because I don't like the taste of fondant, I tried another source for covering. I liked the results, esp the way it ended up looking like a "leather purse" because of the shine. I made a few other "mini purses" too in different colors, but this one tuned out the best. Any comments are welcomed.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2088586est.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 12

Amaryllis - that cake is very pretty. How did you go about coloring your modeling chocolate? I'm looking to make some figurines and some tools out of the chocolate and need a bunch of different colors. I haven't worked with it much so I'm not sure what to use.

sugarxosugar143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarxosugar143 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:56pm
post #9 of 12

i've recently been using modeling chocolate myself and im addicted! it taste sooo much better and like others said it doesnt dry out quick so if you mess up or something breaks you can easily reform it, also easier to hide seems lol.
I was told its really hard to work with to cover a cake and was told to do 50/50 modeling chocolate and fondant, which i am trying for the first time on a cake due this saturday, i will let you know how it turns out icon_smile.gif
Also, its very simple to make but im not gonna lie, once it hardens it sucks trying to mold it into a "dough" texture, it takes some time and patience but once you get it all soft its great!!
To color my modeling chocolate i use a little, little bit at a time of wilton food gel except for black and red! i use powder based colors for them.
Hope that helps!! icon_smile.gif

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 12

I always assumed that you needed oil based colors so that it doesn't make the chocolate seize up. Again, I'm also assuming that modeling chocolate works like dipping chocolate. I'm going to try the gels and see how it works.

sugarxosugar143 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:53pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiechef

I always assumed that you needed oil based colors so that it doesn't make the chocolate seize up. Again, I'm also assuming that modeling chocolate works like dipping chocolate. I'm going to try the gels and see how it works.

you are supposed to use all powdered based colors but i've had luck with all my wilton gels except for black and red, those gels do make my modeling chocolate sieze

sugarxosugar143 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:55am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarxosugar143

I was told its really hard to work with to cover a cake and was told to do 50/50 modeling chocolate and fondant, which i am trying for the first time on a cake due this saturday, i will let you know how it turns out icon_smile.gif

the "royal first birthday cake" i just uploaded was the cake i just did with 50/50 fondant and modeling chocolate. it was GREAT to work with and in my opinion it was easier to cover the cake with then just fondant alone and it hardened quicker. And i think it taste ALOT better lol. icon_smile.gif But i will say it was a PIA to mix the modeling chocolate with the fondant, it took awhile to blend the 2.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%