Can I Do This?

Decorating By dorothymarie Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm by Annabakescakes

dorothymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorothymarie Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 8

Can edible ink cartridges be refilled with food coloring?

7 replies
dorothymarie Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 8

Well I guess no one is going to reply. I am thinking I can use food coloring or someone would have answered no.

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 8

The shades of straight food coloring may not be exactly the same as the original cartridges and would make your images not be perfect colors.

But I suppose the alternative would be purchasing new cartridges anyway, so I'd give it a try. Let us know what happens.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 8

I'd have to say no you can't.
I don't know for sure but if you could I'd imagine we would have already heard about it on Cake Central.
I would say there's more to edible ink than basic food colouring, there would need to be some kind of drying agent in the mix.
Someone from icing images is on CC maybe they will see your post and comment.

good luck

dorothymarie Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you for replying. I don't know why it wouldn't work, as long as I can find all of the colors. Or at least I think the blue and yellow would work.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 8

Hi
I am so sorry I have not answered. My mom was hospitalized out of town so things have been a little crazy. DO NOT EVER put anything but the edible inks that were made specifically for the cartridge you purchased in your cartridge. While food colouring is used in the making of inks, it is not the only ingredient. The thickness of the ink varies and will harm your printer. In addition as someone did say, the colors are different. Sorry...

dorothymarie Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 8

OK Just curious. Thanks.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 8

I worked at a grocery store bakery and we were told to do that if we really needed an image and were out of ink. We used airbrush colors. The images really didn't look that great, but it was okay in a pinch, and it was a grocery store, so what do you expect, right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%