Fondant Is Cracking! Please Help

Decorating By angelcakes11 Updated 3 Jul 2011 , 7:38pm by tlcpruss

angelcakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes11 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 10

I just put the fondant on my cake and it is cracking!!! I had to color it to get a royal blue does anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop it from cracking I have it on the counter. think if i put it in the fridge it will dry out more???

9 replies
TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 10

What type of fondant did you use?

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 10

I use MMF and if it gives me any trouble I knead in a little bit of shortening or pop it in the microwave for a couple of seconds.

angelcakes11 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 10

I used satin ice and did color it, is there any way of stoping it from continuing to crack? I have put shorting on it what else can I do? I also have to paint with gold luster dust scrolls all over this tier , the cake is for Tuesday!!! any suggestions please

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 10

I would microwave it and re-knead it with a bit more shortening. It is a hazard when using gel colours.

angelcakes11 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 10

It is on the cake already!! my concern is will keep cracking can i refrigerate it or will it crack further if its cold?

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 10

Hmmmm. It's a good question - I would hope that it wouldn't crack any more because it will be kept moist by, presumably, buttercream underneath. However, if it were me, I would put it in the refrigerator and hope that the condensation that forms will stop it from cracking further. Just remember not to touch the fondant while it comes back to room temperature or you'll mark it.

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 10

If all the above suggestions fail, I would just remove this fondant refrost if necessary and use a new batch of fondant. At least you still have time.
Another suggestion would be if you could somehow hide the cracks with some of the decorative elements? Best of luck!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 10

Yeah Satin Ice will do that, esp with extra color added...I suggest FondX in the future.

If its badly cracking you may have to remove it and start over.

If its not cracking too badly and you have decorations to cover it, you can make royal icing the exact same color as the fondant, and use it as "caulk" by filling in and then smoothing over the cracks with your finger. Or even chilling it nice and firm and doing the same with the matching fondant...take tiny pieces softened with a tiny bit of water and blend it into the cracks.

tlcpruss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlcpruss Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 10

What is happening to your fondant is you are breaking down the binding agent (sugar) when you are adding the gel color and shortening. While darkening the fondant limit the amount of shortening you use. When adding the color you need to add powdered sugar a little at a time, by adding in the powdered sugar you will stabilizing the binding agent. Once you have reached the color you desire you should let the fondant rest for a little while and then roll it out to cover the cake. The result is that your fondant will not crack/shred when you try to cover your cake. I have had this problem in the past and it was with Satin Ice. I now use FondX as it's much easer to color and takes less powdered sugar to maintain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%