Un-Stacking A Cake For Serving - Please Help!

Decorating By Swanfam Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 1:16am by CWR41

Swanfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swanfam Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 6

I attended a wedding this past weekend and happened to be standing next to the cake table while it was being cut and served. When the women cutting the cake removed the top tier (and then again on the middle tier) the cake plates (white plastic) pulled up the frosting from the tier under it. So the people who were served those pieces had no frosting at all on their cake. I have made two-tier cakes before for people, and now I'm wondering if my cakes did the same thing. I have a wedding to do in 2 weeks, and am trying to figure out how I can avoid that problem...any insight will be very helpful!

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 6

Waxed paper or parchment paper.

ljchevygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljchevygirl Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 6

I put powdered sugar in between my layers. I use the cardboard cake rounds and if you look in my pictures there is a two tier cake. I read somewhere on here about using powdered sugar because even the parchment paper will stick. I used the hershey icing recipe on my cake on the bottom tier and used powdered sugar in between them and the icing stayed on the cake and didn't really stick to the cardboard.

JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 6

I learned to put a 2nd cardboard cake board under the one for the smaller tier, with the white anti-grease part facing down to the bottom cake. So it looks like a sandwich with the white facing the outsides. I did this and almost no icing came off on the board. That also makes it easier to separate the 2 tiers because you can insert the spatula between the 2 boards.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 6

I was the server at an art center function recently, a server for my own cake, I should clarify. It was a 4 tiered bc iced cake, and I cut and served from the top down. I will never do it any other way. Now, I was very careful until I got down to the last two tiers, but I will never take another cake apart to cut and serve again if I don't have to.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 1:16am
post #6 of 6

You shouldn't need to use anything extra under the tier, if the icing has already crusted before stacking. Just to be sure, I use a circle of waxed paper stuck with BC under the second cardboard.

If I'm cutting and serving, I always start with the largest tier so that if there's going to be leftover cake it's always easier to box up, transport, and store the smaller tier(s).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%