Ungrateful 'friends' - Bit Long

Lounge By Chala86 Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 6:52pm by psmith

Chala86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chala86 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 14

This is just me having a bit of a vent. I'm just so angry. I spent three days doing a cake for a friend for her birthday. I wasn't planning to charge because I considered her to be a very close friend.

Anyway, she had a birthday do and I unfortunately couldn't find a babysitter to look after my daughter so I couldn't go. I said sorry repeatedly but, and I quote, 'Sorry doesn't cut it!' She has the major hump with me over it and says I could've done more. Isn't hindsight a fantastic thing?

So today she comes here, has a go, takes the cake - which, may I add has ended up sitting around for the best part of a week because she wouldn't come collect it when she was meant to - and doesn't even say thank you.

icon_mad.gif Now, I'm livid. I'm only really a beginner at all this and I put one hell of a lot of effort into it, only to have this so called friend demand money out of me because she booked me into something that I told her I wasn't even sure I'd be able to attend. No thanks for all my effort. No thanks for the time or money that went into it. That's three days I could've spent with my family now lost. I feel like I've wasted my time now and I'm very upset. Safe to say I won't be doing that ever again. And, childish I know but that's the way I feel right now, I hope her cake is stale!!

13 replies
KatieKraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKraft Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 14

She certainly doesn't sound like a friend at all. She seems like a selfish, over indulged, spoiled brat. I would chalk the cake up to good decorating experience and write her off. You seem like someone who is too nice and kind hearted to be subjected to someone who doesn't appreciate you.

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 14

So you made the cake in time for her event, and she couldn't come pick it up since you weren't able to attend and deliver it in person?

Chala86 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarciaGM

So you made the cake in time for her event, and she couldn't come pick it up since you weren't able to attend and deliver it in person?

We had organised for her to collect the cake on the Thursday. The cake wasn't for an event - just for her - as a good friend and all or so I thought. The event was called Go Ape - climbing trees and whatnot and I just couldn't make it. So she came today for the cake but only as an afterthought of being unplesant and unreasonable.

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 14

Live and learn. Caking teaches us as much about relationships as it does about cake decorating! Sorry you had to deal with that.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 14

oh my.. she doesnt sound like a great friend at all. When she got all pissy and didnt come get her cake one day she was supposed to, i would have just eatten the damn thing! lol Obviously she wasnt appreciating your gesture if she couldnt be bothered to come get it so she doesnt deserve to have it.
Might seem petty but hey, i like cake and I woulcnt want one to go to waste sitting around my house. lol I haven't cake in a while. I think im going into withdraw.

Chala86 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 14

I had to make my partner a birthday cake too - for friday - my snoopy cake which was hard going being the first time to carve a cake. I kind of burnt myself out a bit over the whole thing. So we have a massive amount of cake too and I don't eat much cake as it is lol. I did toy with giving it to someone that might appreciate it more. Wish I had now but, as GarciaGM said - you live and learned. I consider this a lesson well learned and not one that I wish to have to relearn at any other point.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 14

She wouldn't have gotten that cake from me. lol

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 14

Just when you think your doing something lovely for someone - all of a sudden it goes pear shape. icon_cry.gif

And when it's meant to be a dear friend - who should see reason and try to understand - it hurts.

Hopefully she will realise how upset you are and that her actions and tone were totally unwarranted.

On the up side - cute snoopy cake you made icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

cakedoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoff Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 14

Great Snoopy...horrible "friend"! Is her cake posted?

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 14

Sounds like she just wanted to punish you for not attending her event by ruining your hard work (letting it sit around). I mean what did she think, that her Go Ape thingy was more important that you looking after your daughter? I would use that line "Sorry doesn't cut it" to refer to her behaviour and cross her off my Bestie List. I dumped a lot of those kinds of friends right after graduation... from kindergarten!

Just remember that you did the "good deed" by making her a cake in the first place and as hard as it is, forget everything that came after that. Don't let her ruin your warm fuzzies with her mean nasties!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 14

Hm, how does that saying go? "With friends like that, who needs enemies?"

I would have said, after she finished her tantrum, "with friends like YOU who needs enemies?

I'd also drop her cake into the trash bin at the same time.

PS.. Great Snoopy cake! thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 14

Tell her to take it off the price of the cake she picked up. Then stay away. She'll call you again when she needs you. And then it will be your turn to fuss at her.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 6:52pm
post #14 of 14

She doesn't sound like a friend! icon_sad.gif
I think you are entirely justified in feeling the way you do. She owes you a big apology. I think you were way too nice in giving her the cake. I would have eaten it with my family...at least they would have appreciated the time and effort! Boo hiss on that so called friend!!! icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%