Illinois Cake Decorating Business, Where To Start??

Business By Lori2240 Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 2:58pm by ranae5463

SweetIndulgences Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetIndulgences Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:27am
post #31 of 32

"It doesn't work that way... even if you purchased pre-baked frozen cake layers, fondant, and buckets of icing to slap it all together, you are still assembling/completing/manufacturing a finished edible product that you are responsible for producing in the correct inspected facility required by your health department."

I agree - according to the inspector I had to deal with, the health department regulates the kind of work surfaces, the kind of floors, the way utensils and containers are used and washed and sanitized - and so much more. If you are in a home kitchen for ANY part of the process, you are non-compliant with health code. Where you take the orders doesn't matter - where you MAKE them does. You can probably see why I opted to make the commercial kitchen because there are not a lot of "loopholes" when it is plainly illegal to try and get around the laws.

I feel like the bearer of bad news, but all the energy spent on getting around the rules might be better spent trying to be legit and not have to worry about getting caught. What do I know though - I am not a rule breaker - I was always teachers pet! icon_razz.gif

ranae5463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae5463 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:58pm
post #32 of 32

Well - I've been waiting to hear and haven't yet. So no word on the status of the Governor signing the bill yet. Has anyone else heard when it is to be signed off?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%