Fondant Refrigeration

Decorating By treetgirl Updated 29 Jun 2011 , 2:07am by katie725

treetgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treetgirl Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:52am
post #1 of 5

I live in a really humid place. Sometimes I need to make a cake the day before and refrigerate it overnight. Recently, I have made buttercream cakes with fondant and 50/50 bows, accents, etc. and when I bring them out of the fridge, everything develops so much condensation that it practically melts, becomes droopy and is ruined. HELP! What do I do? I can't always make a cake the sam day it's due. Thanks so much in advance!

4 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:58am
post #2 of 5

When you refrigerate it you need to put it in a box, and then wrap the box so that no moisture can get in or out. Then the idea is to let the cake come to room temp while still wrapped and in the box, so that any condensation forms on the box instead of the cake. The moisture is attracted to whatever is coldest, so if the cake is room temp before being exposed to the air there should be little to no condensation. HTH

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:05am
post #3 of 5

can you put the bows on at a later time and just refrigerate the cake with fondant? I was always leary of refrigerating my cakes until I went to Carlos bakery and saw so many big cakes in the cooler....now I am no longer afraid,

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 5

I have never tried it but it seems like the wrapped box that bakingkat described would work great. I do not put fondant in the fridge, ever. I live in VA and it gets humid here sometimes (nothing like in Malaysia or anything, but still pretty bad) and I never have had to put it in the fridge. Then again, I do not refrigerate my buttercream cakes.

katie725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie725 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 2:07am
post #5 of 5

i am always nervous as well about putting fondant in the refridgerator.i can't usually find boxes that fit the height of my cakes, so covering them in the fridge is an issue. if i have a filled cake and then cover it in ganache and fondant..it will have to go in the refridgerator right? i use a bc recipe now that doesn't require refridgeration but i know there are recipes out there that must taste much better..help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%