Clay Extruder For Fondant?

Decorating By CakelynsFinest Updated 7 Jul 2014 , 12:36pm by Ralch

CakelynsFinest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelynsFinest Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:30am
post #1 of 18

I have to make a gumpaste tiara for next weekend. I was going to start rolling it out but am afraid that the pieces won't come out uniformly. I've read that some people use a clay extruder. Has anyone tried using this? Is it difficult to push through? And also what brand would you recommend? Any help would be appreciated! Thx!

17 replies
joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:45am
post #2 of 18

I use a clay extruder I bought from Michaels. They have a large one and a small one. I recommend getting the big one with a coupon. Fondant is not hard to push through if it is fresh.

I use mine often. Happy caking!

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:50am
post #3 of 18

I bought the Walnut Hollow clay extruder at Michael's with 20 different discs in a plastic carry case, which I love. It is very easy to use as it has a handle that you "wind" or "crank"...kind of difficult to explain. But it works great! Because of the plastic case, everything is all contained and no discs get lost. I waited to get a 50% off coupon to use, which made it very inexpensive.

http://tinypic.com/r/2h50905/7
http://tinypic.com/r/34t7288/7

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

FYI...if you use shortening on your fondant when you put it into the tube, it comes out very easy. thumbs_up.gif

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:50am
post #4 of 18

I just tried one for the first time and it worked great! I watched Edna's video from Design Me A Cake and she suggested getting one that turns instead of pushing. I couldn't find the brand she was showing, but found a similar one.

CakelynsFinest Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:58am
post #5 of 18

That's great to hear. I was going to start tonight but I'll just wait and get the extruder at Michael's tomorrow. I don't know if this is a stupid question but would it be any more difficult to push through gumpaste rather than fondant because it is a bit harder?

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:00am
post #6 of 18

Roll your gumpaste or fondant into a tube about the same size as the extruder tube and then put a coating of shortening on it and it will slide in easily and come out just as easily.

By the way...no questions are stupid. If you need help, that's why we are all here! icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:03am
post #7 of 18

I love the walnut hollow clay extruder. I also love the makin that i have. depends on what i am doing I still use the red and black one i have had for years. can,t think of the name of it. hope you enjoy yours.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:10am
post #8 of 18

i recieved the walnut hollow extruder myself for this past christmas. i was using a hand held one that you had to push and found it impossible and extremely time consuming! i love the new one though-and now i find i'm using it all the time!! i second the motion of using shortening inside the barrel of the extruder as well as coat your fondant/gumpaste before you put it in the tube, i also put a little shortening on the disk with the cutout. have fun!!

CakelynsFinest Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:40am
post #9 of 18

Thanks for the great tips! Can't wait to try it out!

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:11am
post #10 of 18

I have the one Edna suggests, I can't get it to work. Tried all the above. Ready to give up!

danni73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danni73 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:30am
post #11 of 18

The Makins green clay extruder is meant to be quite good( T bar shaped)

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:43am
post #12 of 18

I am somewhat, maybe a little, puny in the muscles..LOL make the fondant nice and soft with shortening and it comes out like a dream! Doesn't really take that much longer to dry too!

CakelynsFinest Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 2:36pm
post #13 of 18

Just wanted to let you know I bought the Walnut Hollow Clay Extruder and it made things so much easier! I love it! I have a photo of the tiara I made with it in my pics.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 2:56pm
post #14 of 18

I have the Walnut Hollow extruder and it works great! Used it last week to make the rainbow and vines on the Dora cake in my photos. I used the square disc for the rainbow and it made it super easy to put the rainbow together.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 3:38pm
post #15 of 18

I have a cool contraption I use for my extruder...Two short pieces of a 2x4 with a hinge. The top piece has a hole in it and the bottom piece has a groove to keep the extruder from slipping. Instead of trying to push with your fingers you can push down on the piece of wood and put your arm muscles into it. icon_lol.gif I've had it forever.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:44pm
post #16 of 18

I just made my silver Tiara (in my pics) with Edna's green extruder.LOVE IT!! I use it with mmf fondant with or without tylose- gumpate- and even Edna's egg white gumpaste. Crumbcake - make sure you twist the extruder open completly when you fill. Roll a long log with a little shortening (smooth exterior coating) and then insert. Good luck!!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:59pm
post #17 of 18

LOVE my extruder! I use it all the time. Definitely use the shortening. I use it with gum paste too.

Ralch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ralch Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 12:36pm
post #18 of 18

AHi,

Do you only coat the fondant with shortening or you mix them together and then coat?.

I used gumpaste with my walnut hollow without crisco and it was a huge PITV.

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%