Royal Icing Storage

Decorating By mburkett Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 9:00pm by allaboutcakeuk

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 8

Is Royal Icing still OK if left out at room temp? I made a batch last week, used it for a cake on Wed but it got left out. I need to use some to finish a cake today but I'm afraid to use it since it's been sitting out. It's in a sealed piping bag. I need it to glue down some decorations. Once dry the stuff can sit out for days. What about prepped? Do you think it's OK or should I just make a new batch?

7 replies
mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 8

Here is a site I found about royal icing that you may find useful.

http://sweetopia.net/2011/01/how-do-you-store-royal-icing-and-how-long-can-you-keep-it/

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 8

you can also freeze it.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 8

I leave in a sealed tupperware container in my pantry for weeks. After awhile it will separate--but it is still good. Just re-whip.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 8

I don't think it can go bad...there's no perishable ingredients in it. I freeze mine, let it thaw and re-whip...good as new!!

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena4016

I don't think it can go bad...there's no perishable ingredients in it. I freeze mine, let it thaw and re-whip...good as new!!

Some people make their royal icing with egg whites.

tbkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbkimber Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 8

I make mine with egg whites so I definitely refrigerate it. This is the recipe we used in culinary school. I have not tried any other recipe.

Royal Icing
Yield: 30.063 oz

Ingredients
- Powdered sugar  24  oz
- Egg whites   6  oz
- Cream of Tartar   1  pinch (.063 oz)

Procedure
-  Sift powdered sugar and add to mixer bowl.
-  Add cream of tartar and half of the egg whites.
-  Mix on high with the paddle attachment.
-  Add whites until medium stiff peak.

Notes
-  Royal icing will keep for two weeks in the refrigerator. Cover with a wet towel making
  contact with the top of the icing.
-  To reuse add a touch of egg white and ALWAYS whip for five (5) minutes.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburkett

Is Royal Icing still OK if left out at room temp? I made a batch last week, used it for a cake on Wed but it got left out. I need to use some to finish a cake today but I'm afraid to use it since it's been sitting out. It's in a sealed piping bag. I need it to glue down some decorations. Once dry the stuff can sit out for days. What about prepped? Do you think it's OK or should I just make a new batch?

It should be ok as long as no egg whites have been used as then you would need to refrigerate it. you can also freeze it, defrost at room temp and re mix it. If you have any left over you're not happy with or a little older it's great to use to make pastillage for making solid modelling - like sticks, castle turrets etc or plaques for cakes. I store mine in an airtight container and put a little piece of plastic wrap sitting on top of the RI before sealing the lid to make sure it's well sealed. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%