Stacking Fondant Cakes

Decorating By jessicakes63 Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 3:53pm by jessicakes63

jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 2 tier cake and covering it with fondant. The top tier will not have decoration on top, so I don't want to drive a dowel thru it and have a hole in my fondant. How do I do this? Thanks in advance for any help!

5 replies
jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 6

I would put the dowel in the bottom cake then put the top tier on on top of the dowel. Just make sure it's short enough that it won't pop through the fondant from the bottom.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 6

I have actually done this and if you match a smidge of buttercream to the exact color of your fondant, you can cover the hole and smooth it with a wet spatula and never know there is a center dowel rod.

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 6

If you do 5 dowels in the bottom tier you shouldn't need one going through the top tier. One in the center and 4 around the cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieb

If you do 5 dowels in the bottom tier you shouldn't need one going through the top tier. One in the center and 4 around the cake.

The one down through the cake is there to help stabilize the all the tiers together, keeping the top tiers from shifting any.

To the OP, I would put a hole in the base plate of the top cake. Make sure your center dowel is not too tall, and then put it in the bottom cake and slide the top cake on it.

jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the help! I thought I would put the dowel in the bottom tier and set the top down on it....but wanted to see if there was a better way. Im new at this...this is just my 5th cake to sell. I get alot of help from this website and forum and appreciate it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%