Edible Arrangements Fruit Basket?

Lounge By Kitagrl Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 5:27am by JanH

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 21

Not about cake...but you ladies are so smart I thought you'd know!

I would like to send somebody an Edible Arrangement basket for their birthday next month, but the prices are so high (yes I know what you are thinking...I charge a lot for cakes...haha...but I don't BUY them, I MAKE them!) haha.... so... I was thinking for half the cost I could buy a cute basket from Michaels and some flower foam and skewers and make a nice arrangement myself. I already have plenty of dipping chocolate, would just need to buy the fruit.

My question is...does anybody know if the fruit is treated with something? Or do they just choose fruit that does not get old quickly? I figure I can just print off an edible arrangement photo and kinda use that to work from but I don't know if I will have to treat the fruit with something...I know there is some sort of "fruit fresh" powder you can buy but I don't want to add that unless I have to.

Ideas? Will anxiously await somebody to share with me the edible arrangement secrets! haha.

20 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 21

You'd def need to use Fruit Fresh. I'm sure they use something similar, or perhaps that very product.

Kitagrl Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

You'd def need to use Fruit Fresh. I'm sure they use something similar, or perhaps that very product.

I haven't used it for years...it won't dry out the fruit or look weird, will it? It soaks it up and then stays good for awhile?

How do they keep the fruit from drying out? I guess when they wrap it after arranging?

Do you think the fruit fresh will also help the chocolate dipped fruits retain their juices? I have found sometimes chocolate dipped berries begin to leak...

mysweetsugar75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetsugar75 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 21

I made an edible fruit arrangement last year for a baby shower, I made it a day ahead of time. placed in frig. over night after wrapping it with loose clear gift basket wrap Then I had to travel with it for 2 hours, had my air cond. on in car set as low as possible because it was 85 degrees that day.

First I found a lovely bowl container, I used a dense head of lettuce inside container to support the skewers of fruit, first I cut a flat bottom on lettuce. You can use a head of cabbage BUT I was glad I didn't because once you start sticking in all the skewers it gets harder and harder to push them in.
I used a large metal cookie cutter in the shape of a flower to cut out pineapple - must use a rubber mallet or hammer to get a really clean cut on pineapple.
Fruit I used: canteloupe, honeydew, grapes, strawberries and chocolate covered strawberries. Only problem I had was making sure strawberries were firm enough, they had a tendency of wobbling on skewers if too soft.

I took picture, but can't find it on my computer at the moment

Hope this helps! - it was really, easy to do and was about the 1/4 to 1/3 the price of major brand name

Kitagrl Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetsugar75

I made an edible fruit arrangement last year for a baby shower, I made it a day ahead of time. placed in frig. over night after wrapping it with loose clear gift basket wrap Then I had to travel with it for 2 hours, had my air cond. on in car set as low as possible because it was 85 degrees that day.

First I found a lovely bowl container, I used a dense head of lettuce inside container to support the skewers of fruit, first I cut a flat bottom on lettuce. You can use a head of cabbage BUT I was glad I didn't because once you start sticking in all the skewers it gets harder and harder to push them in.
I used a large metal cookie cutter in the shape of a flower to cut out pineapple - must use a rubber mallet or hammer to get a really clean cut on pineapple.
Fruit I used: canteloupe, honeydew, grapes, strawberries and chocolate covered strawberries. Only problem I had was making sure strawberries were firm enough, they had a tendency of wobbling on skewers if too soft.

I took picture, but can't find it on my computer at the moment

Hope this helps! - it was really, easy to do and was about the 1/4 to 1/3 the price of major brand name

Cool! I'd love to see a photo? What gave you the idea to use lettuce or cabbage? Is that what they do? (I've never actually gotten one before). Is that better than florist foam?

Did the covered strawberries leak?

mysweetsugar75 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 21

No, I didn't have a problem with the strawberries leaking. Maybe you could place those skewers in right before you deliver the arrangement.
I used the lettuce because it gave some weight to the bottom. Arrangement starts to get top heavy with all of the fruit

I just tried to post a picture of my fruit arrangement. The photo moderator messaged me and said only decorated cakes and cookies are allowed.

If you want a picture emailed to you, just pm me your email address.

mysweetsugar75 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 21

BTW Suzy, I love all of your cakes - You Rock!

Kitagrl Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:

BTW Suzy, I love all of your cakes - You Rock!

Aww thanks. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:

No, I didn't have a problem with the strawberries leaking. Maybe you could place those skewers in right before you deliver the arrangement.
I used the lettuce because it gave some weight to the bottom. Arrangement starts to get top heavy with all of the fruit

I just tried to post a picture of my fruit arrangement. The photo moderator messaged me and said only decorated cakes and cookies are allowed.

If you want a picture emailed to you, just pm me your email address.

Oh...did you say you used fruit fresh, or not?

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:23pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Not about cake...but you ladies are so smart I thought you'd know!

I would like to send somebody an Edible Arrangement basket for their birthday next month, but the prices are so high (yes I know what you are thinking...I charge a lot for cakes...haha...but I don't BUY them, I MAKE them!) haha.... so... I was thinking for half the cost I could buy a cute basket from Michaels and some flower foam and skewers and make a nice arrangement myself. I already have plenty of dipping chocolate, would just need to buy the fruit.

My question is...does anybody know if the fruit is treated with something? Or do they just choose fruit that does not get old quickly? I figure I can just print off an edible arrangement photo and kinda use that to work from but I don't know if I will have to treat the fruit with something...I know there is some sort of "fruit fresh" powder you can buy but I don't want to add that unless I have to.

Ideas? Will anxiously await somebody to share with me the edible arrangement secrets! haha.

I've made one. Use a head of lettuce instead of foam. It works really well.
Luckily the fruit you would use for this is in season. I made it over the winter and I'm pretty sure it wasn't worth making it myself with how expensive the fruit was. If your going to made the pineapple flowers made sure you press really hard and wiggle the cookie cutter against the cutting board alot and you still might need to go over some with a knife. My first 2 came out with crazy jagged edges. Then I got down the process.

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:26pm
post #11 of 21

We almost bought an Edible Arrangements franchise a couple of years ago. We went to Connecticut and did the whole tour of the headquarters, etc. Yes, they use fresh fruit, from locally grown farmers in the area. They use heads of lettuce and leafy green lettuce for the centers and then push the skewers into the lettuce. All the fruit is washed and dried and incredibly moist! I've gotten and given these arrangements numerous times and have never had a single piece of fruit drip or melt. All arrangements are made per order, refrigerated, covered with cellophane and delivered the same day. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisaz2004

We almost bought an Edible Arrangements franchise a couple of years ago. We went to Connecticut and did the whole tour of the headquarters, etc. Yes, they use fresh fruit, from locally grown farmers in the area. They use heads of lettuce and leafy green lettuce for the centers and then push the skewers into the lettuce. All the fruit is washed and dried and incredibly moist! I've gotten and given these arrangements numerous times and have never had a single piece of fruit drip or melt. All arrangements are made per order, refrigerated, covered with cellophane and delivered the same day. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

So they do not add any sort of preservative? That's cool!

morrisaz2004 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 21

No preservatives were added at all! They are extremely picky about the fruit they buy from the local growers. It's really a great product.

Kitagrl Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:35pm
post #14 of 21

For the pineapple flowers...you probably do NOT core the pineapple, right? You cut it from the center of whole pineapple cross-sections?

Kitagrl Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:39pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisaz2004

No preservatives were added at all! They are extremely picky about the fruit they buy from the local growers. It's really a great product.

Very cool! I know they have to command high prices to be able to sell top notch items and still make a profit.... I would LOVE to order an arrangement but I think I better stick with budget, and try to do it myself!!!! haha.

If it works, it might be a fun thing to do once in awhile for baby showers or gifts...I always love the idea of making a gift at home that looks just like you ordered it from a commercial place. (Gee I guess that's why I do cakes!)

morrisaz2004 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:40pm
post #16 of 21

Believe it or not, they actually have a machine that cuts the pineapple into the flower shapes. But, yes, you just cut across the pineapple in slices and then use your flower cutter to cut out the shape. If you don't want the core piece to be in your arrangement, just use a small round cutter, cut out the core and put a melon ball in the middle of your pineapple as the center. It looks cute this way, plus it adds a little more color.

mysweetsugar75 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:45pm
post #17 of 21

I did NOT core the pineapple, this really gave the skewer a hard place to grip. I placed a toothpick to size in center of pineapple to hold a melon ball or blueberry.

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:28am
post #18 of 21

Don't they soak the fruit pieces in simple syrup before towel drying and skewering them?

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:34pm
post #19 of 21

I know this is way after the fact, but one other important thing to know is they use special plastic skewers. They have little "knobs" on them to hold the fruit in place. My friend and I made a fruit bouquet for a party and had many problems with our fruit flowers staying in place. Not sure if you can find these knobby skewers anywhere, but it does make a BIG difference.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:43pm
post #20 of 21

I actually kept them from an edible arrangement that someone sent me lol

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:27am
post #21 of 21
Quote:

The attachment to software isn't working, but there are other ways to add a photo to a post (please see below). icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

The attachment function on CC doesn't work.

If you want a photo to show up in your post, here's how:

First upload the photo into an online photo site like Photobucket (getting a photobucket account is easy and FREE) then just copy the photo's image code (IMG Code) from photobucket and paste it into your post (on a line by itself, so it doesn't have any other text or punctuation against it). Then when you hit 'submit comment' the photo will display in the thread. Easy.

Photobucket is here: http://photobucket.com/

I'm pretty sure you can also use Flickr like this too - just look for the image code (IMG code) and copy and paste it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%