Opening A Home Busness But I Have Pets

Business By ambarnha Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 7:03pm by heartsnsync

ambarnha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambarnha Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:07am
post #1 of 8

NC Laws say absolutely no pets in the house. We have 4 dogs, before yall all get sick, I have a bacement that when we bought the house was advertised as an apartment. If I "rent" the apartment for my buisness and the dogs are not allowed into the "apartment" would that work? What do yall think? It has a bigger kitchen living room bathroom closet and bedroom. What do yall think I can even pay myself 100$ for rent and keep track of this.

7 replies
mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:13am
post #2 of 8

I would be concerned about the phrase "absolutely no dogs in the house". Can you ask your health inspector if your plan is acceptable?

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 8

I think it depends on access to said apartment. If it's only accessible by an outside entry then I think it might fly, but if it has an indoor entry then you might run into problems. Best way to find out is to call the inspector.

CarolinaCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaCakeMom Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 8

I am in NC and have a friend who runs a legal "bakery" out of her condo/apartment. They don't have pets, but someone else in the building probably does. I would think it would be okay. Good luck!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 8

The only way to know for sure is to call the health department (or agriculture or whoever is in charge of this) and ask. Ignorance does not mean the law down not apply.

You could face big fines/shut down if this is not allowed. Taking that chance is up to you.

CarolinaCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaCakeMom Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 8

Ambarnha, it's always a good idea to do recon before you actually get a visit from the inspector. I would think that if your space is legal for baking then you would not have to rent it from yourself. That would be more of a financial, than a health inspection issue. Good for you for getting legal and doing your research first. Again, good luck! And let us know what happens.

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 8


I am in NC also. I have dogs inside as well. I was told that I would have to have a seperate building completely detached from my house to operate.

I do not have a basement, but the answer to your question will be very interesting to hear. Please share when you receive your answer from the the Dept. of Ag.


heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 8

I live in NC and matter of fact just became legal to sell. Kaye Snipes was my inspector from the NC Dept of Agr. and she was very knowledgeable and nice. I would email her and ask her your questions. She was very prompt in responding to my email questions.

Additionally, you need to check with your zoning and permit department in your city. There are different rules according to where you live that may put even more limitations on you than the state has. For instance, in my city you cannot have a home bakery unless you can provide at least 3 off road parking spaces. So in my city that automatically means most people in apartments and condos can't get a business permit for a home-processing business.

Good luck to you! I am glad to have my ordeal over! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%