Smell Of Eggs....

Decorating By Charmed Updated 19 Jun 2011 , 5:01pm by LindaF144a

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 10

I made swiss meringue buttercream and I used powdered egg whites (the brand of it is called now). and my buttercream smells like eggs!! I put vanilla, orange extract. but still it smells like eggs mixed with vanilla and orange!! Is this normal? I am wondering if it is the brand of egg whites.. Anyone had this problem with other brands of powdered egg whites? what other brands of powdered egg whites do you use? or do you use fresh whites?
thanks thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 10

I only use fress egg whites I'm afraid - I'm intending on buying in liquid pasteurised egg whites but I haven't used powder egg whites. Would be interesting to see what others say though.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 10

I use to make smbc with fresh egg whites, changed to liquid pasterized egg whites(love this way) , but haven,t used the powder kind.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 10

The only powdered I have used is the Wilton Meringue Powder for a white cake and they worked fine. I only use the pasteurized liquid egg white, in fact I buy about 4 or 5 cartons of them and you can freeze them and thaw them out a couple of days before you actually need them. I think I got my last ones at Sam's and they were packed 3 together but I don't remember the price, sorry. I don't think I would use the ones you tried if you can smell them.
evelyn

Charmed Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:18am
post #5 of 10

I also use the liquid eggs whites but the powder looked more convenient. I also use them as a protein supplement.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 10

Maybe because they are powdered they are more concentrated and you should actually use less powder to water? I am assuming you reconstituted them first. You would have to otherwise it would not work.

Also, let it sit for a while. Then see if the smell is still there. Possibly it just needs to "air out". And how does it taste?

Personally I don't like powdered egg whites or meringue powder either for SMBC for this very reason.

Charmed Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 10

Linda , I reconstituted them first and let it sit for half an hour in the frige. On the box says to make 2eggs= 2tbsp powder + 6 tbsp water. I will make another batch using less powder to see what happens....

cbiscuit85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbiscuit85 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 3:04am
post #8 of 10

I only tried once to use powdered egg whites for SMBC and they wouldn't even whip! I must not have done something right but it was just a big soupy mess and no meringue.

I would like to use liquid whites instead of wasting egg yolks by using fresh eggs, but how do you know how much to add? Do you measure by volume or weight?

Charmed Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 10

one egg white weighs about 1 oz. when I use liquid whites I use a scale to weigh them.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 10

Just to add to the above - one large egg white = 1 oz. For a medium size or an extra large the weight will be different. And yes, Charmed is right, it is best to weigh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%