Imbc And Smbc

Baking By Keciak Updated 18 Jun 2011 , 7:41pm by Keciak

Keciak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keciak Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 3

After looking at many threads and recipes about both of these frostings I still have a couple of questions. From Scratch SF has stated that the ratios of egg/sugar/butter should be 1:2:3. Is this for both IMBC and SMBC? If the only difference between IMBC and SMBC is the way you treat the ingredients then why are there such a wide range of measurements and ratios between the two? I'm trying to find my "go to recipes" and can't really afford to waste the butter trying each and every one - thus the research and questions. Thanks for any help!

I've already learned so much from this web site and all you wonderful bakers!

2 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 3

It wasn't FromScratchSF that recommends that ratio, it is me. FromScratchSF has a different ratio. You can find her recipe on the net.

Really, the best way is to just try it. I will guarantee you will not get something inedible, it will just react differently or maybe taste differently, less sweet, or less buttery or whatever nuance your taste bud will pick up. It is not a waste of product to try it. The worst that will happen is that when you give out the cakes/cupcakes to friends to try they will love you for it and demand more. I know there are some that say they don't like the taste of the frosting, but you will never know until you try. If in doubt use the cheap store brand butter until you at least get the hang of making the frosting because it does take practice. I just suggest you start with unsalted butter and go to your local grocer, not Sam's club. For some reason a lot of other CCers say that Sam's club butter is the worst.

And the reason for the difference in ratios I believe boils down to taste or just plain loyalty to a recipe. I know when I try a recipe I want so hard to make it work that I will keep trying instead of moving on to another recipe. And the only way you are going to find your "go to" recipe is to make them and taste them. There is no other way. Unless you taste someone else's recipe and they are willing to give it to you.

Keciak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keciak Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 3

Oops, sorry for the error. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just take the plunge and get to work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%