Can Someone Tell Me Why??????

Baking By shanienee Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 3:56pm by kristiemarie

shanienee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanienee Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:16am
post #1 of 13

I am baking graduation cakes. Out of 6 cakes, 3 have completely sunken in the middle. What am I doing wrong. I am using BC. I am sifting. I am adding dry to liquid. I am baking larger pans on 300 then turning up to 325. I am not opening the oven while they are baking. Nobody is up but me, as it's the middle of the night and my kids are in bed.

12 replies
KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:45am
post #2 of 13

adjust the baking powder (slightly less), a little less liquid, and scrap the bowl after creaming the butter and sugar, then again after adding all ingredients together.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 13

You said you are using BC, meaning Betty Crocker? Is the cake mix still in date? Did you doctor it any? What size cake pans are you using? Are you using bake even strips or a heating core? How long are you baking them?

Is cake sinking before or after it comes out of the oven?

If it is sinking after it comes out of the oven a lot of the time that means it is under baked. Did you torte them to see if they were cooked completely through?

If it is sinking before it comes out of the oven, I'd think there is an issue with the cake mix, any subs you made or something else.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 13

I use wasc and cut the sugar back to 3/4 c per box because mine always fell in the middle as well. Hasn't happened since and not as sticky!

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 13

Divinecc....I get so frustrated when I make WASC due to the tops being so sticky. The cake is always good and bakes nicely but they always get sticky before I am able to frost them. Thank you for the info, I will have to remember to cut the sugar next time.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 13

I know I hate it, they still get a little sticky but not as bad!

Bobdog15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bobdog15 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 13

I've had cakes sink in the middle after baking when I've over beaten the batter. As long as I stick to the recommended timing, I don't have an issue with it. Best of luck.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 13

Maybe not done all the way? Or not beaten long enough.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:26pm
post #9 of 13

I've had this happen once to me. I believe may have over beat the batter and I think it was the reason it fell in the middle. I don't usually have a problem with it falling in the middle. I most always use Duncan Hines as a starter mix and usually add ingredients. Duncan Hines is my tried and true!!
Good luck!!

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 13

How long is the batter "resting" or sitting out before you put it in the oven? Someone posted this article about leavening agents in a cupcake thread. I found it really helpful and learned that the chemical reactions for the leavening agents start as soon as you add the liquid, not once you put them in the oven (there is a secondary reaction that is heat based though). If you refrigerate the batter until your ready to put it in the oven it will help retard the reactions (not saying that it IS the problem, just a possibility)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/what-is-the-difference-between-baking-powder-and-baking-soda-in-pancakes.html

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 6:38am
post #12 of 13

Use baking strips this helps the middle bake even with the sides of the cakes. I always bake my cakes at 325 degrees.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:56pm
post #13 of 13

I've found that if you beat your batter too hard or for too long it will not bake properly. I usually beat on 4-5 on my kitchen aid, for 2-3 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%