Help! My Black Gumpaste Turned Green

Decorating By missklynn Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 3:37pm by jenscreativity

missklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missklynn Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:03am
post #1 of 6

I made gumpaste for the first time since I needed to make things that fondant wasn't strong enough for. I used the wilton recipe for gumpaste that comes on the back of the gum tex container. I made one batch white and one batch that I colored while in the liquid stage to black. The black gumpaste stayed black until today when I went to use it and kneaded in the last cup of sugar and made something with it. Then after I got back from work tonight I noticed it had turned green! The paste in my ziploc bag is very green. Like a jade green or dark forest green. The item I covered with it seems to be turning green too but it is more a green tint.....

Any ideas what happened? Can I fix it? This is for a cake due this saturday 6/18.

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 6

perhaps it was exposed to bright light. light will cause colors to fade or turn. i'm not sure exactly what your making, but you could paint the cutouts, but you would need to recover the cake itself again. maybe add the color at the end of the process. good luck!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 6

Americolor super black doesn't fade to green, but the Wilton black coloring fades pretty easily. It's because their black is made from green and purple, and the purple fades. If you mix a little black gel coloring with some vodka or clear extract and paint the pieces, that won't fade. It may take a while to dry, though.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 6

I like to add a little bit of burgundy gel color to it to make it really black. Even when I paint with it, adding a dab of burgundy to the black gives you a nice black vs. a dark green.

missklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missklynn Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 6

Yeah i've considered painting it on the item I already made. It was a wilton gel color that I used. I just can't believe how green it is! I'm only using the black for cover some rice crispie treat decorations and to make zebra stripes for the side of one tier... so hopefully I can make something work! icon_smile.gif

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 6

"wilton" colors alter, especially black. I was told to no longer use wilton and use americolor..I'm done with wilton and not I have no worries if color alters with americolor, right before giving the cake..that headache is done for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%