Plastic Corrugated Cake Circles

Decorating By Mellie25 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 3:37pm by RetiredNavyChief

Mellie25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mellie25 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 6

I found these at Hobby Lobby in packs of 3 for $3. However, I have tried to find something similar online and I can't. Any suggestions? Hobby Lobby never has very many in stock so I have to go weekly to get them.

I use them in between the layers of my stacked cakes. I like them because I can cut holes in them and I don't have to wrap them in foil or plastic.

If nobody knows where to find the plastic circles online, is there another idea for supporting stacked cakes that I can cut holes in for center supports?


5 replies
Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 6

Well there's tuff boards but I don't like them because they have a ruffled edge (I like to use the edge of the board as the guide for my bench scraper, to get smooth sides). Wish they would make a straight version! I just use the waxed cardboards and double up for heavier cakes.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 6

I use foamcore and cover it with press and seal wrap. I don't usually make a hole for the center support, just sharpen the end of a dowel with a pencil sharpener (one that has never been used for pencils, of course) and then hammer it down through the tiers into the base board (made of several thicknesses of foamboard, glued together).

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 6

You can order them from Hobby Lobby online store. They have a great deal on shipping at the moment.


MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 6

I have made my own out of foam board. You can find it about anywhere. As far as the plastic corragated board goes, you can buy large panels, something like 4 x 10, or maybe even larger from a sign shop for usually around $10 a piece.

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 6

I usually get the large form boards at Hobby Lobby and cut to size. I think they call it poster or display board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%