Ganache Calculator

Decorating By southerncross Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 6:03pm by nanefy

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:06am
post #1 of 11

does anyone have the link to a ganache calculator that one of the more experienced decorators developed and posted on CC? I've been searching for two days and no luck. It was a link in one of the forums but in mum ever advancing old age I can't even remember where I bookmarked it. Have pity on me someone. Thanks.

10 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:47am
post #2 of 11

Huh, I've not heard of this!! Let me know if something comes up on your search!!

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:32am
post #3 of 11

I did some researching too and found that on a 2:1 chocolate to cream ratio, 1 lb chocolate yields approximately 3 cups of ganache. HTH!

MaSheddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaSheddy Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 11

Not sure I understand your question. Do you need to calculate how much it will yield?

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 11

not sure if you mean ratio calculator or yield calculator - I would love a yield calculator, but I suppose it all depends on a lot of factors i.e. size of board compared to size of cake, whether you torte with ganache or just cover the outside. Anyway I hope you find you what you're looking for, sorry I can't be of more help.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 11

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-720774-ganache.html+lbs

This isn't a full chart, but it is a starting point. I found that my ganache weighed about the combined weights of the chocolate/cream and my loose math says it's about 9oz of ganache per cup.

southerncross Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 11

The calculator I'm looking for allowed you to determine how much ganache you need for each size cake. You entered in the diameter of the cake (say 8" ) and then the height of the cake (say 4") . the calculator would then tell you how much chocolate (both white and dark) and how much cream would be needed to give you enough ganache to cover the cake. I believe it was a wonderful Aussie baker who created it. The ratio was based on a 2:1 for dark and 3:1 for white.

nanefy Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 11

Here is the link - it's on the planet cake forum and it's an excel spreadsheet icon_smile.gif

http://www.planetcaketeaparty.com.au/forum-view.php?id=7072

nanefy Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 11

I'm using it just now and although it asks you for the number of layers of cake - I just put zero because I don't fill my cakes with ganache, I only use it on the outside of the cake. I'm making a fathers day cake this week so I'll be trying this to see how it works.

southerncross Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 11

God bless you all...especially nafely...I might have known it would take a bonnie lass from the fair city to help this old glaswegian. An làmb a bheir, s i a gheibh.

nanefy Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

God bless you all...especially nafely...I might have known it would take a bonnie lass from the fair city to help this old glaswegian. An làmb a bheir, s i a gheibh.

This properly made me lol!! I'd love to be able to say I was able to translate that Gaelic phrase right off the bat, but I had to rely on trusty old google! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%