Urgent Help Please

Decorating By Pearl70 Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 11:33am by Pearl70

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 12

i am trying to roll out store bought fondant to cover a cake. the problem is when rolling it out it seperates/rips. i have tried to add crisco to soften it. Can i turn it into a poured fondant? if so what do I need to do?

11 replies
RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 12

Have you tried putting it in the microwave for a few seconds.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 12

Did you knead it until it's soft and pliable?

Pearl70 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 12

i have done microwave and kneeding it is like a soft playdough when i try to roll it. then it starts to seperate.
can it be turned into a poured fondant?

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 12

What brand is this? The fat content, etc. are different from each other. Satin Ice is different in formula from Fondarific, etc. What is it?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 12

What do you mean, it starts to separate? Does it stick to the rolling pin or the mat? You can grease the mat (or counter) with crisco or dust it with cornstarch, and dust the top surface of the fondant with cornstarch too, to keep it from sticking and allow you to roll it out in one large piece.

I've tried melting homemade fondant before to make a poured fondant, and it didn't work at all. I'm not sure about the commercial stuff, but I would guess it wouldn't do well either.

Pearl70 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 12

it is Wilton brand. when rolling it out the fondant literaly seperates with jagged lines through out the center of fondant

Spuddysmom Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 12

When is this cake due?Is this an emergency? If you don't have time to buy more or make your own, does it have to be fondant?Can you finish in buttercream? Do you have the time/ingredients to make a ganache and pour it over the cake?- I don't think you can turn this mess into a pourable fondant. Hope this helps.
Have you used fondant before?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 12

Did you color the fondant a dark color?

Pearl70 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 12

it was white, due tonight, I went back and reheated it for 20 seconds straight and it worked great. thanks everyone. I will post it in a few minutes. it is a REDS Cake

Spuddysmom Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 12

I don't understand why it separated, but glad that you solved the problem. Happy caking!

Pearl70 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:33am
post #12 of 12

i think my microwave wasnt getting the right temp., for the fondant Or the fondant was cooling to fast

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%