Cowboy Boots!! Help!!! Asap!

Decorating By IceQueen29 Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 3:16am by IceQueen29

IceQueen29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IceQueen29 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 4:26am
post #1 of 7

Hello all!!

I was asked to do a last minute cake for this Friday, a cowboy baby shower. One item that they really want on it is a pair of cowboy boots. I have never made them and was lucky to find a template on here by KathyCC which is great. I immediately got to work on it because I have never made them and knew I would have trouble. Unfortunately I couldnt find any directions on here and although a lot of you probably find it easy or common sense with just having the template I have never made any shoe and have no earthly idea how to do it successfully. i am having trouble attaching the top of the boot to the leg part (if that makes sense) I just dont know how to do it.

Any help, direction or instruction is GREATLY appreciated!!

6 replies
FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 4:53am
post #2 of 7

I just did my first gumpaste boot a couple of weeks ago and this is how i did it . (you can see my it in my pics) I used the template i found here and used wilton fondant with tylose and it worked well ... I think gumpaste will work as well . I cut out the pieces . then put them together as follows .I used tylose glue

attached heel to sole cut sole and toe ( i cut the heel and the sole thicker than the other pieces)

attached top ( meaning the toe to the sole ) then stuffed it with paper towel to hold its shape till it could dry.
then I attached the heel piece and let that dry
when that was dry i inserted the upper (or leg piece) into the heel to get an idea of how much of a curve it needed to fit properly into the hee li let the 2 heel pieces harden while curved onto a paper towel roll . then when they were hard, i glued them into the heel piece and connected the sides .
I hope this helps and that it makes sense to you if you have any other questions feel free to pm me and i will try to take you thru it step by step
MIMI

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IceQueen29 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:44am
post #4 of 7

Thank you ladies soooo much!!!! I really appreciate it!! I will give it another stab in the morning I have tried 3 times tonight so in the morning a fresh start lol!

FleurDeCake- I just received your msg thank you so much and I think now I think I will have much better luck!

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 7

I'm sure you will do just fine let me know if I can help . thumbs_up.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:13am
post #6 of 7

When you assemble the boots, the leg part is like a paper towel tube. You make it completely round. To attach the top of the boot, you use some gumpaste glue around the edges of the lower boot part and just attach the edges to the leg.

You will have to stuff the toe with some cotton balls or a glob of gumpaste to help it hold its shape, especially if you are not using pure gumpaste or your gumpaste is very soft. I had to keep shaping my boots as they dried to get them to hold their shape.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert. Other, more talented people than me, have taken the template and done wonderful boots with it. I did mine (as well as the template) by trial and error. You may have to trim your pieces some to make them fit correctly as my template is far from perfect.

IceQueen29 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 3:16am
post #7 of 7

I am a little late been really busy but wanted to thank you ladies again!! The boots came out great and the lady loved them!!! I was so happy!! I am really appreciative of the help I received!! I would not have been able to do it on my own!

Thanks again!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%