What Is Your Favorite Cocoa Powder For Cupcakes?

Baking By cmom Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 10:32pm by TejasRebel

cmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmom Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 11

I have run out of my Valrhona cocoa powder and though the taste is phenomenal, I cringe at the thought of having to pay so much for more and pay ridiculous shipping on top of it.
I have never tried Callebaut (which might be what i end up getting)
and don't find Ghirardelli to have that deep chocolate flavor I want.
Have you compared any others to Valrhona?

10 replies
MaryMaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryMaking Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 11

I have never tried Valrhona, so I can't compare, but I use Hershey Special Dark.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:08am
post #3 of 11

I use Guittard DP cocoa powder. I'm getting ready to place an order for Sharffen Berger to compare. I have found the best prices to be in bulk.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:15am
post #4 of 11

Droste is my personal favorite.

lyndya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndya Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:27am
post #5 of 11

I use Callebaut and like it very much. Never tried Valhrona, so cant compare. Callebaut makes a very moist cake.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:20am
post #6 of 11

Where is the best price for these chocolates? The only one I can get without shipping is Guittard, but it is very good... coming from someone who doesn't like chocolate.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 11

i have not tried the Valhrona, but i do a mix with Ghirardelli, King Arthur's Cocoa Rouge, and KA Black Cocoa. The rouge and the cocoa don't need to be used full strength to impart some nice depth of flavor. (black isn't recommended to be used by itself, just as an add in).

Tzoavva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tzoavva Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 11

I tried Valhrona and it is amazing...nice deep chocolate flavor. But the price was steap. think I paid $12 at Sur La Table. Just made a recipe that I had used Valhrona beore and can taste the difference and visually it isn't a deep dark chocolate. ohh well...need to either find a cheeper online option if I want to order Valhrona again.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 11

I'm currently using the Extra Brut from Albert Uster. Got 11lbs which was great. I also get chocolate from Chocosphere which is easy for me since I can will call it in Portland, OR and skip the shipping! I also need to get a more natural cocoa, I love the dark but some stuff just calls for a lighter cocoa in flavor. I like Hershey's Dark as well in a pinch but there just isn't enough of it!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 11

I love the brand Saco, they also make the canned buttermilk powder. You don't find the chocolate in many stores but you can order from them directly off their website. I think it has a wonderful flavor but I don't remember the price.
evelyn

TejasRebel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TejasRebel Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 10:32pm
post #11 of 11

If you happen to live near either a Whole Foods or Central Market (that one may only be here in Texas) they also sell the Guittard, Callebaut, and Valrhona chocolates and cocoas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%