Mini Cake

Decorating By TheBakingNurse Updated 25 Jun 2011 , 12:44pm by TheBakingNurse

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 4:50am
post #1 of 5

I got a request for a mini 3 tier mini square cake for my cousins 1 year anniversary...i have never made a mini cake. Should i bake a sheet cake and cut it down into the sizes i need? Also she wants it covered in bc with black ribbon across each layer ( kinda a modern design- i have seen many cakes on this site but i am unable to paste one of the pictures) How do you keep the lines looking so crisp and clean does the ribbon just stick to the bc? Sorry i know its a lot of info that i am requesting...any info helps thanks

4 replies
amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 5

I just did a mini cake this week (owl in my pics) and it was harder than i had anticipated. I baked a 9 x13 and used cookie cutters to cut the layers. I let it cool and everything but frosting it was hard because it was so little a fluffy, which resulted in it being a little lumpy and crooked. I know someone suggested pooring chocolate on top instead of trying to frost etc. but I have no idea how to do that.

I think if I did it again I would make sure I used a very firm cake and freeze the cakes and then cut them still frozen.

Good luck

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 5

I am with Amy. Mini cakes are kind of a PITA. They want to move around on the cake board when you frost them. I have the Magic Line set with the 4-3-2in pans. It makes an adorable mini tiered cake if you can get over the headache of frosting it.

Definitely work with very firm/cold cakes.

You might want to google search for instructions on pourable buttercream or pourable ganache.

Ganache is easy to make. If you did a pourable white chocolate ganache, you could put each cake on a cardboard cut to size, set the cake on a wire rack and then pour the ganache over it so the excess runs off into pan. It might take a couple of coats to get a smooth finish but the end result should be glossy and clean.

HTH
Kristy

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 5

Poured buttecream sounds like a great idea. I usually take a cake dummy that is larger than the mini cake itself, heavily tape the dummy down to the turntable so that it wont move, place my real mini FROZEN cake on top (without taping it to the dummy) and put a long, sharp, thin skewer/dowel down the middle of the mini and the dummy. The skewer helps keep the mini from moving around when I frost and it does not require me to tape it down to anything (it would be difficult to remove a cake board that's been taped down.) I frost the mini and when I'm done, I just remove the dowel, patch up the small hole and remove my mini from the dummy. Sounds like alot hut works for me!

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you guys for all your advice. I did not have to do the cake after all and i am glad because this sounds like a major pain!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%