How Can I Save This?

Decorating By HuneyBee Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 7:37pm by BlakesCakes

HuneyBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HuneyBee Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 12

So a little over a month ago...maybe 2 months, i recieved a cake order for a 3 tier Mad hatter themed cake. I finished the cake...it turned out cute and then i found out that the cake was made on the wrong day due to some miscommunicaton. Its a strawberry cake with strawberry cream filling frosted in buttercream and covered in fondant. Right now it's sitting in the refrigerator...i know fondant doesn't do so well in the fridge but i have to at this point because i fear the filling will go bad. I was asked if it could hold up in the fridge a week...i think not becuase of the filling. Ive made cookies and cream filling before that held its firmness a week although i didn't eat it. The strawberry cream filling wasn't quite as firm as my cream fillings usually are but it was okay...good enough to be eaten the same day it was made. So my question...anyone think it will last a week? my other option, although i really don't want to do it, is to advise the customer i can redo the cake w/o a cream filling. My thought then was to take the cake apart, piece by piece, take out the cream filling, use a buttercream filling and decorate again icon_sad.gif Any replies are hugely appreciated.

11 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 12:18am
post #2 of 12

I wouldn't be comfortable with fresh strawberries cut and prepared a week before, even in the fridge.

I think you could probably rebake and redo much more easily than trying to take apart, reice, and redecorate.

sorry about the mix-up. Is there a charity or public service (fire dept, police) that you could take this one to?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 12:30am
post #3 of 12

I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't want a cake that is a week old. If you made it for the wrong date (if it's your error) you really need to suck it up and re-make it for the correct date. If the error is the customers fault I'd consider re-making it at cost.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:31am
post #4 of 12

Freeze it.

Box it, wrap the box in saran several times. Defrost, still boxed & fully wrapped, in the fridge 24 hrs. before it's to be served. Place on counter a few hrs. before serving--still boxed & wrapped. Unbox shortly before/serving. Should be fine.

HTH
Rae

apieceofcake-dolores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apieceofcake-dolores Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:40am
post #5 of 12

I agree....freeze it! I had a friend ask me to freeze a cake a week in advance for her because i was unavaliable the weekend she needed it. I read up on freezing decorated cakes (on here of course!) and it worked perfectly. You couldn't tell a difference.

HuneyBee Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 12

the issue has been fixed...thanks for everyone's input. the error actually wasn't on my part at all, she gave me the wrong date. thank goodness for saved emails icon_smile.gif but i'm making a second cake for this Friday...now all i have to do is manage my time perfectly so i can get it done icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 12

So, what did you do with the first cake? Were you able to sell it?

Since it was the client's error, will she be paying double for the final product?

Rae

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 12

If it was the client's fault I would have frozen it, not made another..... Only make another if its your fault, which it wasn't....

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 12

Since it was clearly her error she should pay for the second cake if you have to rebake.

HuneyBee Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:56am
post #10 of 12

yes, she's paying for both icon_smile.gif i thought about freezing it, but just couldn't stand the thought of the fondant drooping and "sweating". Plus, the cake would be going another hour to its destination.

HuneyBee Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 6:03am
post #11 of 12

oh and to answer the question about the first cake...she picked it up the next day...i suppose they've been eating cake all week icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuneyBee

yes, she's paying for both icon_smile.gif i thought about freezing it, but just couldn't stand the thought of the fondant drooping and "sweating". Plus, the cake would be going another hour to its destination.

They must really like cake! Glad to hear she's paying for both.

If you follow the directions I gave above for freezing & thawing, the fondant would NOT have "drooped & sweat".

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%