Cake Dummy Wedding Help!

Decorating By DeezTreatz Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 10:31pm by DeezTreatz

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 7

Hello!

I was asked to make a wedding cake for a friend - and I have the creative hand to do which ever I'd like.

It will be 3 tiers...
She only wants the top tier to be real - and the other two tiers will be fake.
However, I don't know how I will go about picking the sizes for the two dummies....
They will not be eating the top tier - just cutting it.
It will be a 6" round cake

But I need help picking the sizes for the other two dummies, I just don't want it to look 'off' Is there a rule, or it's really how ever many servings, - thats' the cake size?

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 7

Many people would do an 8" round and a 10" round. I personally prefer a 4" difference between each tier, so I would do 10" as the next tier down and 14" as the one below that. It's more a matter of preference - there's no hard and fast rule.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 7

Depending on what look she wants, you could do 6", 8", 10". Or if she wants a more grand look, you could larger like 12", 8", 6". I usually try to keep the size ratio even between the tiers but many don't.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 7

I would do 6" 9" 12" or 6" 10" 14". I like to put big flowers on a cake, so the 4" difference in tiers works best for me.

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 7

Ditto to the others. I usually find the 2" differences between tiers to not look or feel right when I've done them. I stick to 4" increases between tiers so if the top were 6" then I'd do 10" and 14" dummies.

It's all really about personal preference and overall design though.

rikkijo314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikkijo314 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 7

I think it depends on how tall your tiers will be. If you are doing 3" tall tiers, having a 4" difference between tiers looks short and frumpy to me.

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all your responses icon_smile.gif
There will only be flowers on the top tier... and ribbon on the others..
The second tier will have a flower/ribbon in the middle of the cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%