Stuck On A Name.

Business By jacquelineanne Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 12:33am by WhenTalentsCollide

jacquelineanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacquelineanne Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:10am
post #1 of 6

I am looking to start a home bakery. I have been making custom cakes for family and friends for years and decided that I wanted to try to turn this into a business rather than just a hobby. I have looked into the state requirements for such a venture but for the life of me i can not come up with a name. some tell me I should have my name (Sierra) in the name others say not to, I'm not sure I want something cute and catchy that is easy to remember. I like Simply, Sweet but i'm not sure if that is a good name. my cakes are usually always covered in fondant and include pieces (figures/flowers) that i make from fondant/gumpaste. any suggestions would be appreciated icon_smile.gif

5 replies
handovertheasparagus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handovertheasparagus Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:40am
post #2 of 6

I am in the very same boat! I work as a cake decorator at a grocery store chain, but also do custom cakes from home for family and friends. I am really ready to quit the grocery store cakes! Everyone keeps telling me to start my business...but what to name it?! I don't want to use my name.... hmmmm....

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:07am
post #3 of 6

the best way I figured out my business name was to get out a peice of paper and write down every one that comes to mind, there is something about the process of writing things down that really helps. I am just getting started with an at home business, and I originally went with Sugar and Spice, but it never felt right, I was racking my brain trying to figure out what I wanted to use as I was getting ready to register my business the next day, so I started writing down every cute name I could think of, and once I came up with Polka Dot Cake Shop, I knew it was the one ( I love polka dots, and the whole retro 50's pin up girl feel) it just fits me and sounds so catchy, dont worry you will find the one that suits you, i just recently came up with my tag line, i wanted something unique but went with 'custom cakes and more' because its short and sweet and says what I do.
Good things to start with are things you love, hobbies, even colors, good luck and I hope you find 'the one' icon_smile.gif

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 6

I'm in the process of starting my home-based cake decorating business. I just turned in my application to the Dept of Ag. By FAR the most difficult part of this has been coming up with a name. I like the above suggestion of just brainstorming and writing everything down that you can think of. I had so many people suggest my name be used in it (Hope), but I didn't like any of them because it seemed like I did cakes for charity...lol. You know, Cakes of Hope, etc... I finally landed on one that clicked, and really seems like home, especially since I've gotten work-ups done on a logo. Something will come to you, but it may take a LONG time icon_smile.gif Good Luck!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 6

I like the suggestion of brainstorming on a piece of paper. Think outside of the box--can you tie into your name something local, like something your town is known for or your street name? Just a thought....

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:33am
post #6 of 6

I personally like a name that doesn't reference yourself, but everyone has their own personal style...

Brainstorming ideas is the best way, and you can cut it down from there...!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%