What To Ice Dummy Cake With For Display

Decorating By MissJezabelle Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 1:16am by cownsj

MissJezabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJezabelle Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 6

So I want to make a dummy cake that will be for a long term display. I plan to cover the foam dummies/rounds in fondant, which I know will harden and be fine for long term.

But as far as the icing decorations and piping what do I use? I was thinking royal icing but the only royal icing recipe I have is the one I use for gingerbread house glue, and it is not the right texture and consistency for bigger icing decorations.

So what do y'all use for this instance?

TIA

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 6

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Royal-Icing

You can also use buttercream, but the royal holds up better to people's fingers. icon_smile.gif

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 6

putty

MissJezabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJezabelle Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks Tex icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 12:58am
post #5 of 6

I just use my regular BC and leave out the dream whip and vanilla. On styrofoam, it hardens like concrete. People at bridal shows are surprised when I tell them, Sure! You can touch it! Lasts for years.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:16am
post #6 of 6

Home Depot has a lght weight plaster. The large gallon size container only weighs a few ounces. You can add use as much as you want and add whatever amount of water you want for the same consistency as bc. You can even pipe flowers with it, basketweave, etc. It works great. And washes up very easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%