Modeling Figures

Decorating By judds05 Updated 12 Jun 2011 , 1:14pm by Manderly42

judds05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judds05 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 6

What is the best way to model figures for a cake? I know on Cake Boss they use modeling chocolate and then paint them?? Or can you use fondant? I'm a complete beginner, sorry if this is a silly question icon_smile.gif

5 replies
aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 6

i have never used modelling chocolate, so i can't comment on that. but when i have to do figure modelling, i use fondant mixed with Tylose (CMC) powder. google extraicing or aine2 for some excellent tutorials. good luck!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 6

you can totally use fondant, or a mixture of 50/50 which is fondant and gumpaste. But I highly recommend you take a look at Youtube. You will find wonderful tutorials there. I myself am learning as well and have found these tutorials very helpful.

cakenewbie007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbie007 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 6

I just started play with making people figures and I find that modeling chocolate is so forgiving. If you make a mistake you can roll it up into a ball and start over, or add more to that one section and blend it in.

Great stuff personally...

CJCrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CJCrystal Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 6:43am
post #5 of 6

I've started using marizpan to practice with, as I've only ever airbrushed cakes before and nothing else.

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 6

I prefer modeling chocolate. As cakenewbie007 mentioned - it is very forgiving and it doesn't dry out fast like fondant/gumpaste. Another plus is that it tastes better! Many people I have made cakes for do not like fondant, so I have switched. It is cheaper (for me) and easier to work with.

One thing I have noticed with making figures - if you want them to stand - you might be better off with an armature of some sort. I use copper wire and usually have it stapled to a wooden base. My cakes are primarily for friends and they know to eat the figures at their own risk! I, personally recommend they not eat them (because O use copper wire - not sure how that mixes with food,) as that is what the cake is for. 99% of the time my figures are for "show."

That said - if you want to stick the wires into your cake - you might want to stick a straw into your cake, put the wire in, then fill the straw with straight chocolate and let it harden. This way the wire is not directly touching your food. Better safe than sorry, right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%