Insurance Needed For Venue

Business By bethasd Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 1:09am by yummy_in_my_tummy

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 3

A venue has requested proof of insurance for outside vendors. My home kitchen is licensed but I am only covered by my homeowner's policy. Can I provide proof of my homeowner's policy to the venue or is this too risky?

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 3

Most venues are probably looking for business liability coverage, but if your homeowner's policy specifically covers a commercial transaction delivered to a location outside your home then that might be enough. I would call your homeowner's insurance company to verify this.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 1:09am
post #3 of 3

Hi bethasd, I'm an insurance agent in California, so any information that I provide to you here is strictly California based, other states do things differently.

With that being said, Jason_Kraft is right, the venue is looking for a General Liability coverage to cover commercial exposures. All homeowners policies exclude any liability associated with a commercial risk UNLESS it's specifically endorsed to the policy. Some states may be able to add coverage for certain types of businesses. For example, an Avon rep or something to that effect.

Because our businesses as cake decorators include the risk of personal injury (i.e. sickness from food product), it's likely that you won't be able to endorse your homeowners policy and you'll have to purchase a separate General Liability insurance policy. If you have low gross receipts (the total amount made selling cakes per year), the policies are very cheap, usually a minimum premium of $450 - $500 a year and most companies have payment plans available icon_smile.gif


Quote by @%username% on %date%