What Is It With This Week?!!

Business By jenmat Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 2:25am by Annabakescakes

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 14

When it rains, it pours.

First, the bride who decided since her vendors don't take credit cards, she wouldn't be paying some of us. But that's in another thread.

Then, last night I had a tasting. First, they show up with 5 people. I allow 4. So right off the bat, I'm ticked because they KNEW this and now I have to squish people in.

Bride ordered 6 sample flavors (paid for 4 of them, 2 were complementary). VERY specific flavors. I boxed up 3, allowed them to sample 3.

First flavor, "oh yum."

Second flavor is white cake with espresso and caramel. MOB says- why'd you order THIS? No one likes coffee! Bride says the groom likes coffee. Groom says, well yeah, but I don't like to EAT coffee. So they all bite into it and complain because it tastes like coffee. icon_confused.gif

OK... moving on, the next is lemon poppy with rasp fill. Complaint, it tastes like raspberry. icon_evil.gif

Then, they mention they don't really like chocolate. Guess what 2 of the 3 other samples are? Red Velvet and Guinness Stout with Ganache. icon_rolleyes.gif Now, I get that Red Velvet isn't really chocolate, but you KNOW that there will be issues.

Or maybe it will be too red or something. *beats head against wall*

13 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 14

Oh Jeeze, I'd off-load them to someone else, if you aren't hurtin' for business!

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 14

Wow. That's a customer you don't need. I feel sorry for her other suppliers!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 14

Oh man, you know they're going to want another tasting (and they won't want to pay for it!). Hopefully they will take too long to decide and you can be booked for their date...

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 14

Since I am in a sassy mood today, the hot hot weather, yeah I am in AC but there are things that need to be done outside, I only have this to offer....when you are in business, it comes with the territory, maybe next week you will have all sweethearts.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 14

Good Lord...[/b]

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 14

Ummm.... can you say Bridezilla and her posse??

jenmat Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:46am
post #8 of 14

@ hellie~
This was all just shared as an anecdote. I wasn't expecting commiseration, just a chuckle for everyone. Of course I get that when you're in business you'd better expect all kinds. Doesn't mean that sometimes when I close my door after a tasting I tell myself "I'm too old for this."

And I'm 32. icon_smile.gif

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:18am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmat

@ hellie~
This was all just shared as an anecdote. I wasn't expecting commiseration, just a chuckle for everyone. Of course I get that when you're in business you'd better expect all kinds. Doesn't mean that sometimes when I close my door after a tasting I tell myself "I'm too old for this."

And I'm 32. icon_smile.gif

Jen, my reply was tongue in cheek, why I said I was in a sassy mood...yeah, I understand the too old for crappy days stuff. Sorry you took my post wrong. Next time I will use a smley or something.

jenmat Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 14

oh I wasn't offended at all, just clarifying that I wasn't whining, just sharing so everyone could share my joy. icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 14

At the cake shop I used to work at, at another of my favorite wedding cake vendors in the area, and I will do it myself in my shop - they send the cake samples home to try. Then they can snark all they want and I don't have to listen to it. Only once did I get a "complaint". The bride ordered these crazy cake flavors and combinations, none of the "traditional" flavors. A week later the MOB calls and orders another sample pack with the traditional flavors. It turns out no one liked what the bride ordered. The MOB told me she asked her DD why she ordered the ones she did, and the bride had no answer, just thought it would be fun. Well it turned out to not be fun after all. Thank goodness they were only out $10.

Oh yeah, I'll be charging more than that. And they won't get a choice. My other favorite wedding cake vendor sends them home with 6 of their most popular flavors. I intend on doing the same.

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 14

Holy cow your coffee tastes like coffee and your raspberry tastes like raspberry??!?!?!!? I even bet the schazzberries thaste like schnazzberries! Go grab on of those Guinnesses and use it for yourself tonight, and not the cakes!

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:32am
post #13 of 14

Holy cow your coffee tastes like coffee and your raspberry tastes like raspberry??!?!?!!? I even bet the schazzberries thaste like schnazzberries! Go grab on of those Guinnesses and use it for yourself tonight, and not the cakes!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:25am
post #14 of 14

Wow, it's like deja vu, all over again! I noticed in another thread a post posted twice, 20 minutes apart. I wonder what in the world is going on with this wacky site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%