Upside Down Book

Decorating By Tinabarena Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 12:20am by Tinabarena

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 3

I received a request for an 'upside down' book cake. A cake with the pages of the book facing down, but the front/back cover of the book facing up. If I use the book pan, can I flip it so that it looks this way? I searched the images and couldn't find where someone did an 'upside down' book. I'm just wondering if I flipped the cake if it would just end up looking like an 12x18 cake? Anyone done something like this? Any pics out there? TIA.

2 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:27am
post #2 of 3

The problem, I think, would be having the pages not totally touch the surface you put them on, like a real book turned upside down would. In order for a cake to be stable, you have to be able to put it on a flat surface! But you could make a fondant or gumpaste cover for the cake in three pieces - the front, the back and the spine. The front and back covers could hang out over the cake about 1/4" or a little more and the spine, which would be rolled thinner, would arch up a little bit. You could even carve out a little channel in the cake itself under the spine to give the idea of an open book and carve the outer edges (but not the top and bottom) inwards a little bit. If I'm not being clear, just take a hardback book that has a spine that's not glued directly to the inner edges of the pages and lay it out flat like you want the cake - presto! there's your model! It sounds like a terrific idea to me. I'd love to see it when you finish it.

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 12:20am
post #3 of 3

Thanks! Got it - the curved spine is a good idea and I think will accomplish the idea. I might have to do a test run on this cake though....it has definately thrown me for a loop! I'll post pics when I'm done. Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%