I Think I Found A Bettercreme Substitute!!!!!!!

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 28 Jul 2013 , 12:57am by veronicap25

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:42am
post #1 of 26

Hey all!

I poped into my local Kroger this evening and noticed that they were selling little tubs of "whipped Icing" from the bakery area.... intrigued i tried to find someone who was familiar with it. but no one was working the cake area. Talked to a clerk and he couldn't answer questions nor did he know what Bettercreme was... but he did go into the freezer and pulled out their big bucket. It was not the same as what i normally get from Sam's... and i didnt see Rich's name on it... but, I snapped a photo of it in the link below... but i tried a bit and from the bucket's general directions it looks like it is a similar product.

Have any of you used this before?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericacurtis/5801922893/

"Perfect Whipped Satin"

I bought some to try. it is way more expensive ($4 per lb) than buying the usual Big bucket from Sam's Club... but in a pinch this could be wonderful!

If you have used this or can give me any info on it I would be grateful!

25 replies
CiNoRi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:52am
post #2 of 26

A little more digging this might even BE Rich's Bettercreme... Not 100%yet though

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:05am
post #3 of 26

It's made by Rich's, so it may be some form of pre-whipped Bettercreme.

I only use the frozen quarts of Bettercreme (that you whip yourself) for fillings (mock mousses). I don't ice cakes with it.

My primary concern are the final 2 directives on the bucket:

Place cakes back in freezer immediately after icing.
Store cake in covered container.

No way that would ever work for me and the type of decorating that I do. To me, it seems geared more toward Dairy Queen style cakes??

Rae

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:20am
post #4 of 26

blakescakes, this is what I was thinking too. I don't want to give a frozen cake to someone. You know what is going to happen. The second you take that cake out of a freezer on a hot day it will begin to sweat and bleed all over the place.

Edited to add: It must not be very stable icing if you have to keep it frozen. It doesn't even hint at refrigeration. I'm thinking I will stick to making my own, so I know how it will react.

CiNoRi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:12am
post #5 of 26

So you don't think it's usable for making our mock mousses/ fillings?

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:26am
post #6 of 26

For me, no.

The handling directions are so different from those on the unwhipped quart containers that I just wouldn't be comfortable with it.

I know that what I use is shelf stable at room temps under 80 degrees for at least 5 days and that at no time after whipping is refrigeration, let alone freezing, required.

Finally, the quarts take up very little room in my freezer and they allow me easy portion control.

JMHO
Rae

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 5:58am
post #7 of 26

05644 PERFECT WHIPPED SATIN VANILLA ICING - Rich Products Food ServiceFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
05644 PERFECT WHIPPED SATIN VANILLA ICING. PACKAGING. Product Code: 05644. Units Per Case: 1. Unit Weight: 15 LB. GTIN: 00049800056442 ...
www.richsfoodservice.com/actions/act_createSkuPdf.cfm?pId=11997

http://tinyurl.com/3t58elu

HTH

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 26

Jan, very helpful !

Shelf life at ambient (room temp): 0 days

Says it all for me.

Rae

CiNoRi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 26

Wow in confused now I have been using and have been told by people on here that the prewhipped stuff is interchangeable when making the shelf stable fillings(aka safe on a filled/fondant cake.... I would never leave a filling just sitting out)

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 26

When I began making the mock mousses several years ago, there was a thread showing that the pre-whipped is NOT interchangeable with the unwhipped quarts. The shelf life of the pre-whipped isn't the same.

CC had a crash a while back, so I don't know if it's still available.

It's for that reason that I only use the quarts.

Rae

CiNoRi Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 26

this is frustrating, finding the liquid stuff is almost impossible... well finding it where im not paying a crazy amount for the product or the shipping! ;-(

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:05pm
post #12 of 26

http://www.richsfoodservice.com/product_subcategory.cfm?cId=72&scId=7237

Here is a link to the listing of all of Rich's icings. If you click on a product name, the will be additional link for storage info. Unfortunately, those links aren't working on my iPad, so I am not able to check the details until I can get to a regular computer.

It appears though, that the Perfect Satin is different than the regular Bettercreme pre-whipped. At least there are separate entries with different names. You'll have to check the details.

Edited to say that there is a little icon for a PDF, which is viewable on the iPad.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:27pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Jan, very helpful !

Says it all for me.

Rae

I was just able to look at some of the PDF files. I believe that the ambient shelf life refers to the unopened container. If you read in the tips & handling section, it says 5 days unrefrigerated after it is on the cake.

Some of the descriptions are a bit odd. Might be best to just call the company for clarification.

CiNoRi Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:45pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker

Quote:

Jan, very helpful !

Says it all for me.

Rae

I was just able to look at some of the PDF files. I believe that the ambient shelf life refers to the unopened container. If you read in the tips & handling section, it says 5 days unrefrigerated after it is on the cake.

Some of the descriptions are a bit odd. Might be best to just call the company for clarification.

I called Rich's and they clarified this up!

Bettercreme... ANY version is not shelf stable (as in storing a container of it on your counter)... BUT once it is filled into a cake. it is safe to be left out for no more than 5 Days!

So no more freaking out we are safe!!!!

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 26

there are other nonwhip products besides bettercreme. I don't have my shops product list but we used to get stuck with what ever our supplier showed up with. they were always substituting on us when they couldn't get one they would try another.

If I am doing a big project I do buy the buckets of prewhip bettercreme fro sams club.. they also have the chocolate bettercreme.. it is great not having to whip just take it straight out of the bucket and go...

if i am doing a small project the quarts of bettercreme is nice but over 4.00 a quart is nuts.. unless its a very small cake.

Both the bettercremes work the same. Just that you can overwhip the quarts into thick nonusable stuff and then have to thin with more bettercreme only to repeat.. until you get it right. difficult when your trying to add colors ..always end up with more than needed. I find that bettercreme works well in hot weather if I let it get to and stay at room temp for a while.. if you take it out of fridg or freezer then it is more tempermental. You can freeze the frosted products if you need to.

Gordon Food Service GFS sells the frozen quarts of non whipped.. both in the vanilla and the chocolate. but there prices are high and even more high if you get into the larger buckets with them.
you don't need a memebership with them either.

Sams prices have gone up on both there frooen bettercremes (chocolate and white) and there buttercream which comes in white chocolate and colors but still worth it to save time and money.

CiNoRi Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:51pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

there are other nonwhip products besides Bettercreme. I don't have my shops product list but we used to get stuck with what ever our supplier showed up with. they were always substituting on us when they couldn't get one they would try another.

If I am doing a big project I do buy the buckets of prewhip bettercreme fro sams club.. they also have the chocolate bettercreme.. it is great not having to whip just take it straight out of the bucket and go...

if i am doing a small project the quarts of bettercreme is nice but over 4.00 a quart is nuts.. unless its a very small cake.

Both the bettercremes work the same. Just that you can overwhip the quarts into thick nonusable stuff and then have to thin with more bettercreme only to repeat.. until you get it right. difficult when your trying to add colors ..always end up with more than needed. I find that bettercreme works well in hot weather if I let it get to and stay at room temp for a while.. if you take it out of fridg or freezer then it is more tempermental. You can freeze the frosted products if you need to.

Gordon Food Service GFS sells the frozen quarts of non whipped.. both in the vanilla and the chocolate. but there prices are high and even more high if you get into the larger buckets with them.
you don't need a memebership with them either.

Sams prices have gone up on both there frooen bettercremes (chocolate and white) and there buttercream which comes in white chocolate and colors but still worth it to save time and money.

Yeah im just going to stick with Sam's (and my find at Kroger, in a pinch) I go through spurts of using the Big pail of Bettercreme... but for the cost its sooooo worth it from Sam's I just need more freezer space hehe so I can keep getting it there! hahah

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:33pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

Bettercreme... ANY version is not shelf stable (as in storing a container of it on your counter)... BUT once it is filled into a cake. it is safe to be left out for no more than 5 Days!

Thanks for making the call. They really need better info on their packaging & website, that's for sure. icon_confused.gif

It's good to know that there are other options in a pinch.

Thanks,
Rae

CiNoRi Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:07am
post #18 of 26
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

Thanks for making the call. They really need better info on their packaging & website, that's for sure. icon_confused.gif

It's good to know that there are other options in a pinch.

Thanks,
Rae

Yeah i know!! They have like 100 different "versions" of bettercreme listed on the site.... some say not safe some say good for a few days... some say nothing at all..... "Dear Rich's you'd probably sell more if you were more informative & Clear!!! icon_wink.gif

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:08am
post #19 of 26

Where do you find the Bettercreme at Sam's? Frozen food area? Cake decorating area?

CiNoRi Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:25am
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ37

Where do you find the Bettercreme at Sam's? Frozen food area? Cake decorating area?

You have to get it from the Bakery department, but make sure they bring you the whipped frosting... A lot of the time they don't realize what you are asking for and bring you buttercream ... Last time I got a bucket I think it was around $20

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:38am
post #21 of 26

i always call sams ahead and let them know what I need and when I can pick up the frostings. They have times when they only have enough for the bakery such as now during now with grad parties and cookouts when they are busy.

If you know what your going to need just give the bakery a call ahead of time I think that they appreciate it. And they get deliveries in several times a week.

and they also have colored buttercream..many colors. i use the black hot pink and they had a tourquoise kind of blue that I needed for the cake last week. it saved me so much time, I didn't have to worry if I had made enough of the color to finish the cake or for an emergency or repairs..

the buckets are around 8-10 pounds or so ( dont have one here to check) but they are well worth the money... consistant color... and very reasonable priced time saver.

CiNoRi Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:40am
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

i always call sams ahead and let them know what I need and when I can pick up the frostings. They have times when they only have enough for the bakery such as now during now with grad parties and cookouts when they are busy.

If you know what your going to need just give the bakery a call ahead of time I think that they appreciate it. And they get deliveries in several times a week.

and they also have colored buttercream..many colors. i use the black hot pink and they had a tourquoise kind of blue that I needed for the cake last week. it saved me so much time, I didn't have to worry if I had made enough of the color to finish the cake or for an emergency or repairs..

the buckets are around 8-10 pounds or so ( dont have one here to check) but they are well worth the money... consistant color... and very reasonable priced time saver.

Good call!

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:01am
post #23 of 26

Thanks for the information...I was never quite sure where to get it!

CiNoRi Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:56pm
post #24 of 26

And after a call to rich's ... the "Perfect Whipped" stuff is NOT Bettercreme. So keep that chilled!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:20am
post #25 of 26
veronicap25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronicap25 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 12:57am
post #26 of 26

Does anyone know where I can get the colored Bettercreme? I tried calling my cash & carry here in Salem Oregon, & am still working on an answer 6 weeks later icon_sad.gif They called me three weeks ago and said they "possibly" could get it but when I asked them for a price they said they would call me back., no answer so far.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%