Fondant Vs. Pastillage

Decorating By Doughnut Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 3:54pm by Doughnut

Doughnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doughnut Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 6:01am
post #1 of 3

Hello All!

Somebody please tell me when I would want to use pastillage rather than fondant and vise versa. It seems to be that pastillage is sooooo delicate why would someone want to deal with that?

2 replies
SweetDreams98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams98 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 6:25am
post #2 of 3

I like using pastillage for certain cake toppers. I did a Scooby Doo Haunted Mansion cake and played around with modeling chocolate, fondant and finally pastillage to make the house topper. You have to be quick when using it because it starts to dry immediately however it becomes very hard very fast. I liked using it because I was able to cut out the house the way I wanted it and quickly carve details. I brushed it lightly with water to seal the surface and then was able to paint on it with my powdered colors and some vodka. It was just like painting on dried clay. I like to use fondant (or fondant/gumpaste mixture) when doing a decoration that requires more detail work. If I need a longer period of time to carve details I just use the 50-50 mixture a few days ahead of time and it dries hard then I can airbrush or paint as needed. Pastillage can also be used as supports because it dries so hard but you have to work quickly because it can also crack. Hope this helps!

Doughnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doughnut Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 3

thank you sweetdreams!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%