Need Chocolate Filling For Fondant Wedding Cake

Baking By bsanders12 Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 6:54am by hollyml

bsanders12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsanders12 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 5

I am baking a wedding cake on June 18th and the groom wants chocolate filling. I do not have a good recipe that I can use in the cake and for a filling for cupcakes as well. I need something i do not need to refridgerate because of the fondant!! Any help would be amazing!! Thank you all icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 5

In Australia many cake makers fill their cakes with ganache, and then cover them in ganache before putting on the fondant.
You need to make the ganache, allow it to cool to a spreadable consistency, and then you spread it on as you would buttercream icon_smile.gif

Dark, Milk and White chocolate all use different ratios of chocolate to cream.

The brand of chocolate you use makes some difference also. White chocolate is not recommended for summer, as it is too soft, and doesn't do very well outside of the fridge.

I can't for the life of me remember the ratios. I would be really stuffed if i needed to make a cake right now icon_wink.gif

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:40am
post #3 of 5

1:1 for dark chocolate/heavy cream, 3:1 for milk and white/heavy cream, all done by WEIGHT.

icon_smile.gif

HTH

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 4:28am
post #4 of 5

Whipped ganache or you can go to Smart and Final and purchase Chocolate Frostin Pride. It's really good and once it has been whipped it can be unrefrigerated for up to five days.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:54am
post #5 of 5

At risk of stating the obvious here...what's wrong with chocolate buttercream? icon_smile.gif Ganache of course would work too and it's a richer taste.

Do you know if the groom had a specific type of "chocolate filling" in mind?

If you do have a favorite chocolate filling recipe that requires refrigerating, there are posts all over the place here describing how to safely refrigerate a fondant-covered cake. icon_smile.gif I haven't had a reason to try it but it can be done.

Holly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%