Cricut?

Decorating By Briniga Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 8:21pm by tiggy2

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:21am
post #1 of 13

I'm thinking about buying a cricut, but Im not sure which one is the best to get. I dont want to pay more then like $100, is that possible? Are they worth it? I just want one that will do stuff that are hard to do on cakes like the nice swirls (not cornelli, i can do that easy) Thanks

12 replies
PaulaPea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaPea Posted 31 May 2011 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 13

I have the smaller cricut, since I'm a hobbyist. I got mine at Joann's for $100, but had to watch the sales carefully! There is quite a learning curve and I still have some difficulty with mine, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm certainly glad I bought it at any rate...love the fonts. I also have a scrapbooking cricut and the cartridges are interchangeable...I love it!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 31 May 2011 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 13

I have the cricut cake mini. I use it mainly for lettering. I have never had any problems getting to work correctly. I just read all the threads here on CC about its use, and they helped.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 31 May 2011 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 13

I have the original red one. There's a bit of a learning curve, but I like it. I use it more for when I have to have multiples of a certain piece - for example butterflies, snowflakes, etc... I can just multiple sizes and quantities.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 13

I also have the red cricut cake and like it, however I like the silhouette better because I can use it with MTC and don't have to buy the expensive cartridges. Downside is you won't get it for $100. Check out Linda McClure's website Deseret Designs for info on it. If you don't purchase it from her you won't get the special blade for fondant/gumpaste. She also includes instructinal manual and CD.

Briniga Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:00am
post #6 of 13

does any of these machines work well with any fondant? like satin ice...

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:13am
post #7 of 13

I have used Satin Ice Fondant with my Cricut and it worked however I did mix a little bit of Tylose in the fondant. Roll it really thin so that you can see the lines on the mat through it too.

Briniga Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:21am
post #8 of 13

Ok thanks icon_smile.gif

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 13

I've heard the full size Cricut Cake is being clearanced at Hobby Lobby for around $70. I also saw it at Jo-Ann's on clearance for $125 this week.

peetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peetz Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 13

I wish I had a Hobby Lobby near me!! That is a really great price. I have a full sized Cricut for paper but know how to modify it for gum paste. You can use it for so many things, find a friend with one so you don't have to put out $40 for each cartridge.
Oh, we could start a cartridge exchange here! I would be willing to share mine, i have lots of them. I will make a list after chores ( I got lots of chores each day) LOL

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 13

It all depends on your area. At my HB it's $200.

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:34pm
post #12 of 13

We got our CC (red) at AC Moore a few weeks ago for $199... I see they have it now for $399...

If you see it for $70 that's downright crazy...

Anyhow, there is definitely a learning curve with it, even if you have Cricut experience already... you must roll your medium SUPER thing especially if you are cutting smaller sized pieces...

Still trying to figure out the best settings (speed / pressure) to get the cleanest edges on my cuts... if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears too... icon_wink.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 8:21pm
post #13 of 13

Follow Linda's instructions on her youtube videos and you'll have great success. She also has her complete classes on DVD on her website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%