Best Way To Paint With Silver And Gold? Please Help

Decorating By rubycurls Updated 31 May 2011 , 7:04am by jennifercullen

rubycurls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rubycurls Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all. If I want to colour White fondant with silver or gold how can I achieve an even, streak free covering? I have tried painting with silver lustre dust and vodka but the result was really streaky. Is there a better way to do this? I don't have an airbrush. I have looked at loads of pics on here where you guys have got a perfectly finished metallic look but am struggling to replicate this myself. I hope someone can give me some tips. Thanks in advance x

4 replies
Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 5

I have the same question as you. I have had the best luck with highlighter instead of lustre or petal dust mixed with Vodka but have been unable to get a totally streak-free finish. I hope someone has the answer for both of us.

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 5

Hm....is it perhaps too thinned out? I know it's expensive, but it helps to use a fair amount of dust.

abqgreene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abqgreene Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 5

I paint he fondant with a base color first. A light coat of goldenrod works well under gold. Then like the previous post says use quite a bit of luster dust and more than one coat to helps with the streaks.

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:04am
post #5 of 5

Last week I was making a tiara out of fondant and I made it in white, then realised I should have coloured it grey to paint. Anyway, I actually found a silver lustre spray. I may not be helping here as you may already have used these and found they are not suitable, but Id never seen them before and thought it worked great! I didn't take a pic so I can't show you sorry, but I think that would probably at least eliminate paintbrush lines... icon_smile.gif
Jenny

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%