Fillings For Fondant Covered Cakes

Decorating By Rae9 Updated 31 May 2011 , 7:48pm by Rae9

Rae9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rae9 Posted 30 May 2011 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 8

I am very new to cake decorating, only been doing it for a couple of months and I am wondering what kind of fillings can be used on a fondant covered cake. I have only used butter cream but would like to try some others. Thanks!

7 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 30 May 2011 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 8

Just about anything you can think up! Some might suggest that if you use a light filling, like a mousse, then you should make your buttercream dam thicker by adding more powdered sugar to it. Sharon Zambito instructs to fill cakes that way to prevent bulges.

You could also try adding different preserves to your buttercream if you want to just kinda ease into it.

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 30 May 2011 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 8

I haven't encountered anything that I can't cover with fondant...yet icon_biggrin.gif Any cake I'd make and cover with standard buttercream icing can has been fine when covered with fondant.

Rae9 Posted 31 May 2011 , 1:11am
post #4 of 8

Thank you soooo much!!! One last question...if you can't refridgerate a fondant cake, how long can you leave a cake that has a milk or other parishable fillings out? Would you have to fondant the same day?

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 31 May 2011 , 1:26am
post #5 of 8

I always put my fondant cakes in the fridge now and never have a problem doing this. I didn't in the beginning b/c I had read in so many places you can't do it - then someone on here told me it was ok - I tried it and it was just fine - it actually helps them look nicer in my opinion because they firm up the buttercream underneath, etc.

Acjohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acjohnson Posted 31 May 2011 , 1:26am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae9

Thank you soooo much!!! One last question...if you can't refridgerate a fondant cake, how long can you leave a cake that has a milk or other parishable fillings out? Would you have to fondant the same day?

You can refrigerate

KeLs3784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeLs3784 Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 8

i've ever only used buttercream frosting and cream cheese frosting for fillings. After watching some youtube tutorials from a company called "Sweet Wise", I am going to try something they sell called icing fruits (concentrated fruits w/ real fruit and pulp). I'm excited to try it out- will let you know what I think after I receive it.

Rae9 Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 8

Awesome!! Thanks everyone for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%