How Many Cups Of Frosting For 3 Tier Wedding Cake

Decorating By mrs411mom Updated 27 May 2011 , 12:49pm by indydebi

mrs411mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrs411mom Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:25am
post #1 of 3

I am making a 3 tier wedding cake for 120 people. I would like to know how many cups of buttercream frosting I would need. The pan sizes are, 14,10 and 6. This is my first wedding cake I've made and would like to do the stuff ahead of time so Im not super rushed. Also when putting a raspberry filling in between the layers should I put a very light layer of frosting down first and then put the dam around it and then the raspberry filling? Any advice would be great! thank you!!!

2 replies
SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:38am
post #2 of 3

Here is a chart that will give you an idea how much: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm. I always make more because I also torte.

The thin layer of buttercream before you put down your filling may or may not be helpful, depending on your filling recipe. Some filling recipes won't soak into the cake, so the layer of buttercream would be unnecessary. But if you're not sure, it wouldn't hurt.

You mention it's your first wedding cake. Have you done other stacked cakes? Do you have your cake support system under control?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%