How Do You Cut Out Small Shapes Without A Cutter?

Decorating By pebblez87 Updated 10 Jun 2011 , 3:50am by sebrina

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:25am
post #1 of 11

I often have things that are made from fondant that arent available in cutters or not worth buying a cutter for 1 design. For instance i have a baby minnie mouse cake that requires small bows around the edge. Normally i use an xacto knife but lately ive noticed it tears or misforms my item from dragging. How do you cut out small objects without cutters?

10 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:45am
post #2 of 11

It depends on how teeny they are. Sometimes I can use little scissors to cut pieces out. If they're too small, I roll my fondant out on a little cutting board and put it in the freezer for a few minutes to harden it up. That way it doesn't pull when I'm dragging the blade. Its helpful to have some cornstarch on hand though, because the fondant will start to sweat icon_smile.gif HTH!

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:56am
post #3 of 11

I sometimes use my pastry tips as cutters. They work great for small circles icon_smile.gif

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 27 May 2011 , 7:14am
post #4 of 11

thanks i never thought of freezing... it doesnt crack? right now im working on small bows and numbers and they just misform i think it could be the heat as well my fondant has been a bit gummy lately. thanks for the sugguestions everyone

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:38am
post #5 of 11

Has your exacto knife only just started doing that? Could it just need a new blade perhaps?

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 28 May 2011 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 11

New blade always helps that problem for me.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:27am
post #7 of 11

Make sure to use a sharp blade and if it starts to drag then start cutting at another part and meet up with where you left off, hope that makes sense.

cakegirl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl123 Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 11

You could put some shortening on your blade for a smoother cut.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:20pm
post #9 of 11

I roll the fondant/gumpaste thin, let it set up a bit and then use tiny curved manicure scissors to cut out my shapes.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:25am
post #10 of 11

I let it dry just a bit before cutting with the Xacto knife. That seems to help with the distortion.

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:50am
post #11 of 11

Yeap, me too, new blade & let it sit. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%