Royal Icing Transfer

Decorating By MollyHammond Updated 27 May 2011 , 8:32pm by calicopurr

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 9

I think I read somewhere on the list that you can make a "template" from royal icing and freeze it -turn it over and pipe buttercream over the imprint? Can somebody please give me step by step directions? My penmanship with piping is not great and was hoping this might help. Thanks so much.
Molly

8 replies
sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:44am
post #2 of 9

Here's a tutorial:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/73/how-to-create-a-frozen-buttercream-transfer

There is also a bunch of tutorials on youtube you could watch.
You need to use buttercream to make these types of transfers, not royal icing though. Royal icing will break down in the freezer.

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:29am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the link. I definitely need to do that. This tutorial with the royal icing uses a mirror image and is used for writing. the icing hardens and then is used to emboss the buttercream so that it can be traced over with piping.
thanks
Molly

sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:42am
post #4 of 9

Oh, sorry Molly I thought you meant the buttercream transfer. I've never heard of a royal icing transfer. I'm interested in it though, as usually royal icing can't be in moisture such as a freezer, so I'm curious as to how they do it. If you find a tutorial I'd love to watch it.

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:45am
post #5 of 9

This sounds interesting. I really hope you find out how too. I'd like to know myself.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 9

you use a piece of glass or perspex , pop it over the the image or writing you want to transfer , the image has to be a mirror image to work.

pipe over with the royal , leave it to dry , ( you don't freeze it ) then use it to emboss the icing , you should then have a perfect image to trace .

If you are going to do this on fondant , make sure you have your embossing piece ready to go and hardened before you start to ice your cake. As an alternative to this you can also use stamps for the same effect.

calicopurr Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 9

Won't the royal crack and break into pieces on the cake?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 9

No because the royal icing is stuck to the glass. You are just using it to lightly press into the cake.

calicopurr Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 9

thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%