New Here. Who Has A Home Based Business?

Baking By Lilly4 Updated 28 May 2011 , 5:16pm by SnLSweetEscapes

Lilly4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lilly4 Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 6

I live in a state with Cottage Food laws, so I can do this from home.
I'd appreciate any advice/tips you care to give.


5 replies
lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:02am
post #2 of 6

you will probably find many threads to read to get the information you are looking for in the Business forum. I've spent hours upon hours reading specific questions and answers on so many topic related to starting up, licensing, customer service, etc.

good luck to you!

Lilly4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lilly4 Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:07am
post #3 of 6

Ok, I'll check out that forum. Thanks!

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 6

I have an in home bakery. For me it was a long process. I had to build a completely seperate kitchen with all seperate appliances. Then the Department of Health needs to inspect it and will do so every year. Then because I do not live in a "Commercial Area" I had to go before my Town Board twice. I also had to go to my County Board because the next town is across the street from me. You will need to get a tax id number and then a "Doing Business As" completed. Once it is all done, it is completely worth it. If you have anymore questions let me know and I can try and help you. Good luck!

addisonsommer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addisonsommer Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 6

I, too, have inquired about a home business with my county health dept. I live in MO and I am not sure about the cottage food law here. However, I believe people can sell for charities, such as a bake sale or craft show. I was instructed to have a separate kitchen as well. The health dept said I would need a hand sink (not a bathroom sink), a three bay sink, a prep sink if I will be using any vegetables or fresh fruit, etc and one other sink. Also, a commercial grade oven that doesn't require a hood unless I plan to boil or make anything that causes a vapor. I would need a refrigerator that cannot house anything for personal use and everything I plan to use that must be refrigerated must be kept in it and no other refrigerator. Does this sound correct to those that have a home bakery?

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 28 May 2011 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, everything has to be completely seperate. I have a 3 bay sink and a seperate refridgerator. My stove is not industrial. I do have a convection oven but not the expensive kind. I got it from Home Depot and it has a fan inside. I love it! All utensils are seperate. I can't however make anything like cheesecakes or cannolis. Stuff with cream filling. That is a seperate, harder certification. I got away with having the handwashing sink because I have a bathroom right upstairs on the 1st floor of my house. They said that would be fine. It was really hard at first but I am glad that I did everything legally. I would be the type of person that would get caught and get fined.

Quote by @%username% on %date%