Tuscan Cake

Decorating By IcedandSliced Updated 26 May 2011 , 11:02pm by Debi2

IcedandSliced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedandSliced Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:56am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!
I am doing a tuscan style wedding cake and would like some advice. I would like to make the tiers a faux tuscan textured look that you would normally see in homes. I'm unsure how to go about doing this. Do I just use icing color with alcohol.... Or should I use dusting powders. If i do dusting powders should I do them dry or with alcohol. If anyone knows of a tutorial or a technique I would greatly appriciate any help. Thanks

5 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 6

Could you post a picture? I am not sure what you mean by Tuscan style.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 6

Could you post a picture? I am not sure what you mean by Tuscan style.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 26 May 2011 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 6

My guess is you'd want to dust it dry to give it a mat appearance. In fact, I would start with a lighter color, and then go over lightly in certain areas in a darker color to give it the dimension of the old stucco effect. If you wanted to give it even more of a textured look, like on the homes, you could use a pallet knife or an angled icing spatula and spread a thin coating of royal icing on your fondant, then let that dry before brushing on the dust. Not really sure what your cake is suppose to look like, so just throwing out these ideas in hopes it will help. Good luck and don't forget to post your pic when finished because it sounds like a cool cake! icon_smile.gif

IcedandSliced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedandSliced Posted 26 May 2011 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 6

I have a picture but it won't let me open it. Thank you for all you help. I plan on doing the cake a golden brown tuscan/rustic look to it with an old style looking rope border. I want to put deep red peonies, green hydrangeas and purple grapes on the cake. Maybe a grape vine traveling all over the cake. Standing next to the cake will be a chocolate wine bottle with wine inside it icon_wink.gif

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedandSliced

Here is a picture. The walls are what I want the cake to look like. Thank you for all you help. I plan on doing it this way with an old style looking rope border. I want to put peonies, hydrangeas and grapes on the cake. Standing next to the cake will be a chocolate wine bottle with wine inside it icon_wink.gif

Oops, the pic didn't post?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%