Pleated Baking Cups?

Baking By Sara_Bee Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 7:49pm by Lisapost

Sara_Bee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara_Bee Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:51am
post #1 of 17

I'm due to deliver some wedding cupcakes in two weeks. I bought some of the Wilton Pleated Flower Baking Cups in white and I'm wondering if anyone has used them.
Mainly what I want to know is how much the cupcakes will show through if I use the baking cups to actually bake them. I'm also not sure if they're greaseproof, but I'm about to test one with a smidge of buttercream.
I just want to make sure they'll look OK before I go baking 36 cupcakes in them!
Thanks in advance!

16 replies
instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:28am
post #2 of 17

I just have to say that after using Cupcake Creations liners (I find them at Marshall's & TJ Maxx stores) and Reynolds from the grocery stores, Wilton doesn't compare anymore. I made several dozen cupcakes last weekend with diff types of cake and the Wilton liners just leaked and leaked grease! I was so upset! I went to several different places trying to find red liners that weren't Valentine-y and ended up just having to buy solid red Wilton liners and it was the only liner that leaked grease out of the bottom...AND they're not near as thick as the others, so the bottom of my cupcake was noticeably darker/cooked more than when I use other, thicker liners.

I'm pretty much done purchasing Wilton liners...now I just have to figure out what to do with the ones I already have....I guess I'll just double up every time until they're all gone.

icon_sad.gif

Sara_Bee Posted 26 May 2011 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 17

Yeah, I tested the buttercream and got a nice big grease stain in about 2 seconds. I saw teh Cupcake Creations liners at Hobby Lobby, I just didn't know anything about them. Now I'm thinking I'll go back and pick them up. As cute as the Wilton cups are, I'd rather have something I KNOW is going to keep its shape and not turn into an oil slick.
Thanks so much!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 26 May 2011 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 17

Yes, Wilton liners are bad. You can get anything else and you'll be better off!

For extra liners, before you throw them out, you can always use them in crafts. I'm planning to make pretty flowers to make my gift packaging fancy!

http://papercrave.com/how-to-make-cupcake-liner-flower-tree/

http://www.intimateweddings.com/blog/how-to-make-paper-flowers-from-cupcake-liners/

instant-gratificaketion Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 17

Didn't even think about that, imagenthatnj! Smarty pantses! Heehee.

Yeah, Sara_Bee, the Cupcake Creations cups are so awesome! They're also thick and sturdy enough that you can use them on a baking sheet! Plus, if you go to Hobby Lobby, TJ Maxx or Marshalls (in the back where the pots & pans are), you can usually find 2-3 different kinds and even different ones from day to day or week to week.

icon_smile.gif

Sara_Bee Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks, all! I got some white Cupcake Creation cups at Hobby Lobby then found some lacy wrappers at JoAnn's. Hopefully it will all come together.
P.S. I HATE making cupcakes! Give me a great big cake any day! But everyone loves cupcakes nowadays.

instant-gratificaketion Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 17

HAHA! I'm completely the opposite! I like making cupcakes more than cakes! Well, I enjoy making cakes, it's just there's more stress involved with cakes for me - torting, filling, damming, stacking... Will it fall? Was my dam sufficient? Is my buttercream smooth? UGHHHHH.... :p

ShakyCakes99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShakyCakes99 Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 17

I just bought some of the Reynolds one that I am going to use for some drop cookies. They are silver. Are those going to show the grease spots?

imagenthatnj Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyCakes99

I just bought some of the Reynolds one that I am going to use for some drop cookies. They are silver. Are those going to show the grease spots?

I think those are the foil ones that don't show any grease at all. They're great!

Sara_Bee Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:01am
post #11 of 17

The DECORATING of cupcakes I love, it's the baking I don't like. Although I've recently discovered exactly WHERE in my oven they'll rise best, so they are a tiny bit better. I just seem to have better luck baking bigger cakes!
Thanks for the swirls--that's exactly what I'll be doing. Practiced on an actual cake last week. Look in my photos for that one--it turned out super cute!

lepmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepmer Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:15am
post #12 of 17

So the answer is to either use two liners or a higher quality one? Then they will not just look like a stained mess?

FairyCakeLuv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyCakeLuv Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 3:57pm
post #13 of 17

I still would like to know if anyone tried the pleated ones! I bought some at the Wilton tent sale recently and didn't know if I should bake in them, or just bake in regular wrappers and use the pleated for show. Please help!

Sara_Bee Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 8:04pm
post #14 of 17

I decided NOT to bake in them, but I did try to stick a finished cupcake inside one and it wouldn't fit. So it seems that you have to bake them in the pleated cups and then maybe use another pleated cup after it's baked? I would still think the grease spots would make it almost unusable though.

Becca1007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becca1007 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 8:44pm
post #15 of 17

I baked in the pink ones of these to see if they would work well. I tried both a scratch recipe and a box mix and on both occasions, they were greasy looking on the outside, and I also had one of the tops of the liners (where it sticks up) singe a little.

So needless to say I would not waste my money on these liners. Basically I have determined that Wilton liners in general are not a quality product for using if you are baking for an event. If I was just baking at home for kids I might use them...

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:07pm
post #16 of 17

After reading about Cupcake Creation liners on CC, I bought some at Hobby Lobby. They are wonderful as everyone says until the cupcakes cool and the paper peels away from the cupcake. I contacted the very nice CEO and he told me that some cake mixes don't perfrom well in the liners (too much fat), Duncan Hines is one of them. I used the DH devil's food mix in the pink swirl liners. He is sending me some new liners to try different flavors in and see how they do. I was really disappointed as Duncan Hines is my favorite and the liners are really nice, kept their color and no greasy bottoms! Hopefully the yellow and spice mixes will perform better.

Lisapost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisapost Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:49pm
post #17 of 17

I was looking for this type of discussion. I have a friend who wants me to make cupcakes for her son's birthday, but the liners are from the movie CARS. my quesiton is, if I use a regular white cupcake liner to bake in would any of you recommend then placing the cupcake in the character liner afterwards to avoid the greasy liner, thus resulting in not being able to tell the liner is even part of the decor? or would you bake with two liners in the first place? I am definately going to try the CUpcake creations, I have seen them, but was not sure if I wanted to buy them...sounds like I should.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%