Beach Theme Cake

Decorating By sweet56pooh Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 10:52am by audrey0522

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 5

My cousin asked me to make her a beach theme baby shower cake. I'm looking at all these fabulous cakes here on CC for inspiration and I've noticed that some uses piping gel for the water and others uses BC. For the sand, some uses brown sugar and other uses graham cracker. What are the pros and cons between these choices? Why do you use certain things and why? Thanks for your insights!

4 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 5

I loved using a mix of brown sugar and graham crackers for my sand. Its very realistic and tastes good. You can cover a big area with no problems! Ive used both gumpaste and chocolate for making seashells. My gumpaste one's came out the most realistic. Ofcourse the chocolate ones taste better. If you swirl mild chocolate in your white it gives you a marbled effect which also looks nice. I made my own molds by buying a bag of seashells from Walmart and silicone plastique. I got a great variety of molds for cheaper than trying to buy molds individually which run around $25 a piece.
Depending on where your putting your water, would depend on what medium to use. Heat and humidity will make your piping gel stay kind of runny. So if its going to be outdoors use RI. Hope this helps!

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 9:38am
post #3 of 5

Thank you!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 10:23am
post #4 of 5

Depends what look you want. You can create a sandy look by stippling fondant (there's a cake in my album on here which was done like that, if you want a visual). And you can create water using marbled fondant, then just paint it with something to make it shiny (either piping gel, or vodka).

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 10:52am
post #5 of 5

I have used candy molds for the seashells and you can find them for about $2-$3 each.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%