50 Royal Icing Lady Bugs. Fastest Way To Go About It

Decorating By weidertm24 Updated 30 May 2011 , 2:09am by Lcubed82

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a lady bug cake for my niece's first birthday and the theme is lady bug. I'm going to make a 6" lady bug using the ball pan for the baby to eat and cupcakes for everyone else. I'm making chocolate and vanilla cup cakes with buttercream frosting and wanted to put a lady bug on top. So heres what i'm thinking. I have a cookie cutter thats the perfect size circle for the ladybugs so I was wondering if I could make like a sheet of royal icing and then cut that somehow with the cookie cutter but I don't know if it will just shatter.

Any thoughts or other ideas? Thanks in advance MW.

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 9

Try the new Wilton sugar sheets.

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 9

Are you wanting them to be flat? The royal icing sheet/cutter is not going to work, no - but why not just pipe balls?

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 25 May 2011 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 9

I'd make them out of fondant, RI and BC?, would be worried they would melt on me (we have very humid weather at times)

CarrotJockey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrotJockey Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:06am
post #5 of 9

Red M&Ms with spots and a head piped on make cute ladybugs. icon_smile.gif

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:29am
post #6 of 9

i made ladybugs out of a bag of hershey's special dark pieces. just like M&M's but they are all red, maroon and brown colored. so you'll get more of the red you need. used an edible food marker to draw the face and dots on icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:39am
post #7 of 9

If you're wanting them to be royal icing discs, you can use cardstock (or if you'd like it to be reusable, use one of those cutting mats-found near the cutting boards at Wal~Mart) and punch or cut out the size holes you'd like, making it a stencil. Then, smear icing across stencil, remove stencil and leave discs to dry.

Making one full sheet of royal then using a cutter, as you mentioned, would probably shatter. You can spread out the royal. Allow it to set a bit. Then, take your cutter and press into it so that they can be removed easily once dry. To make it a bit easier to remove, you could, when the cutter is pressed in, remove the excess from the outer area of the cutter with a damp brush.

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:02am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the ideas. I'm looking to do a flat lady bug about the circumference of the cupcake. We'll see what happens. I don't have to make these until the end of July!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:09am
post #9 of 9

What about icing the cupcakes red, then using black BC or RI for the details? Or, cut a red fondant circle, then detail. Ice cc with a bit of BC to attach to top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%