Best Way To Tackle This Fondant/gumpaste Ribbon On This Cake

Decorating By angelogoo Updated 27 May 2011 , 4:12pm by sugarshack

angelogoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelogoo Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all,
I really like the look of the fondant/gumpaste ribbons around the round cake layers. I am thinking of doing them using gumpaste as I will be able to roll it thinly without it tearing.

I will be folding the top edge for both layers but on a close look, I am not sure if the outer layer has both edges folded. Please can anyone that have done this style in the past please advise?

http://www.pinkcakebox.com/images/cake1275a.jpg

Thanks all

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 6

I wouldn't do gumpaste because it dries hard and fast. It would be difficult to work with in that long a piece.

angelogoo Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 6

I already had a practice run with the fondant I had and find that it was too soft and when i fold it, it tears and cracks terribly at the edges. I then had a go using 50/50 fondant and gumpaste and it was better but still had some minute cracks at the edges, thats why I thought gumpaste will work best.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 May 2011 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 6

When I do these I generally just fold the top edges, as I do not like the bulk double folding creates. HTH

angelogoo Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

When I do these I generally just fold the top edges, as I do not like the bulk double folding creates. HTH

Thanks for the reply Sharon, do you use fondant or gumpaste?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 6

whatever I am in the mood for, lol. I may use fondant with tylose, fondat with gumpaste, or pure gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%